alumina silicate board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alumina silicate board

I have a 600kg oven which I wish to put on a trailer, it will sit on a 1" marine ply board but obviously it needs to sit on insulation, my question is this. would a 1" (25mm) board insulate enough to protect a domestic rigid foam sheet of insulation or is 2" 50mm board the only option.... I ask as this board is a stupid price over here in England. Thank you

Re: alumina silicate board

I don't know the answer to your question, but my guess is no. When I was curing my oven I found that the bottom of my 5" support slab, the underside, was more than 100F the morning after after my last curing burn. I have 2" of rigid Calcium Silicate board under a standard 2.25" brick deck. Part of what was happening was this concrete support slab was drying and the humidity helped to transfer the heat, but my feeling is that, over time, the heat under the insulation builds and if the temps were this high 5" nearer the oven would have been much higher. Rather than marine ply you might want to look at some sort of metal sheet.

Others will chime in and may have better insite and data about alumina silicate and marine ply in your situation.

Best to you.

Chris

Comment

Chris,
      I understand that concrete releases heat as it cures. Are you currently experiencing the same temps on the bottom of your support slab?
      John

Comment

No not anymore. I still get warming but the drying of the slab make the slab a better insulator, not great just better.. I need to re-take the temps with similar timing and loading to really provide any "current" information of substance..

Chris

Comment

Even with a thicker insulation, you'll be better off with something other than wood in the mix. My fear is the sustained heat on the ply is going to break it down even if it doesn't burn it won't have the desired lifespan, and if it does, you're going to have been penny wise and pound foolish..

Chris
          Last edited by SCChris; 10-15-2011, 08:53 AM.

Comment

I really think you want to put this oven on metal not plywood. Any large building under construction will have metal decking. The decking is installed and then later any openings are cut out. These cutouts are scrap and get thrown away. They are perfect for supporting ovens. If you ask nice and maybe take some beer or doughnuts, I'm sure you can easily get all you need free.

As for the insulation issue, it is probably worth mentioning the domestic insulation you are using is not the same as we have here in the US, it is phenolic foam and is good for continuous use at atleast 300F. I say atleast because I've seen and been told conflicting numbers with that being the lowest of them I've seen.

Comment

Working...
            X