deocrative top of dome.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• deocrative top of dome.

I would like to make a custom decorative inside top brick to my dome from clay and fire it in a kiln before installing it.
    I was thinking of may a sun with a face. I know it would only be visible from inside but I still think it would be cool.
    Something similar to this picture I found on the net.
    If anyone has done someting like this, can you give me any tips?
    Would it stick if I just use the mortar and stick it to the top inside of the finished dome?

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by gtofani; 10-26-2011, 10:40 AM.
    Gino

Re: deocrative top of dome.

I think it will probably fall off and you'll end up with some extra toppings on your pizza. The top of the dome is the hottest and is subject to the most rapid rate of temp rise.If I were to tackle tis idea, and I think it's a good one, I'd carve the design into a slab of plaster of Paris and press soft clay into it, then form a thick slab behind it which can be trimmed after firing. I think the placement would also be better if you put it on the back of the oven about half way up. It would be more visible there. Expect about 10% shrinkage from the plastic state to finished fired product. Use a clay with plenty of grog and good thermal shock characteristics. Ask a local potter.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

I already made the sun face today as a demo for my students.( I teach art at a high school) The clay is cone 5 clay which fires at around 1870 degrees.
      Well above the wood oven temperatures.
      I like the idea of placing it on the back oposite the entrance, that way I can see it all the time.
      Another thought was to place it on the decorative arch on the front of the oven. I will post pics when I get it done.
      Gino

Comment

It would be really cool to watch it turn black when you first start the oven, then slowly heat up and burn clean as the oven reaches full temp. I like the idea of the back of the oven as well...

Keep us posted with pics!
        Ken H. - Kentucky
        42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
        Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

I had a sun face made out of clay, I got in a hurry and placed it in the kiln, only to help dry it a little, well, if you forget about it and dont shut off the kiln, the temperature goes up very fast and it is now in a million pieces.
          No problem, I will just start another one.
          Gino

Comment

Working...
          X