Indispensable Questions/Portable Oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indispensable Questions/Portable Oven

I'm new here. I want to build a portable oven to do some catering. Thinking of 44" diameter. I have extensive food service/baking experience along with building/fabricating experience, but little masonry experience. I have the pompeii oven plans from FB.

I'd like to find more info on the "indispensable tool" along with sources for ceramic insulation for the oven floor and dome. I'd love to correspond with anyone who has built a portable. I'm planning to build a steel base with fork lift slots so the oven could be removed from the vehicle. Is a 3 1/2" concrete hearth advisable for a portable? All non-hostile comment welcome.

Jim in NC

Re: Indispensable Questions/Portable Oven

From what I have gleaned from the forum it is recommended to go with a cast oven when it is portable. Bricks offer too much opportunity for fracture.

My plans are to get experience with my stationary oven before venturing into a portable.

Others with more experience may want to comment.

I am very happy with my magnetic IT it worked well and was very versatile.

Chip
    Chip

Comment

Who makes cast iron ovens? The photos I see on the Fire Within site appear to have substantial masonry components.

Comment

I've checked the site again, and Fire Within sells portable masonry ovens. If it works for them, it will work for me. I'd love to hear from someone who's built a brick portable.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Lostranger View Post
          I've checked the site again, and Fire Within sells portable masonry ovens. If it works for them, it will work for me. I'd love to hear from someone who's built a brick portable.

Jim
          Their floors are brick or large tiles but the domes are cast refractory I believe.

Chip
          Chip

Comment

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...heme-2985.html

Comment

Thanks, Jim, for the great info on your tool. That's exactly the sort of info I need. The photos and plans are especially useful. I have two questions: Is that actually 1/4" plywood? Looks thicker. Second question is, how did you secure the plywood to the floor.

Thanks,

Jim

Comment

I've heard a brick dome will shake to bits. I think a one piece cast dome is a better solution. A 44" oven is really big and really heavy. You will need something with a lot of muscle to haul it. Are you planning on having two or three people peeping and one working the oven?
                Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Lostranger View Post
                  Thanks, Jim, for the great info on your tool. That's exactly the sort of info I need. The photos and plans are especially useful. I have two questions: Is that actually 1/4" plywood? Looks thicker. Second question is, how did you secure the plywood to the floor.

Thanks,

Jim

Yup, 1/4" for the pivot base ( I wanted to keep the pivot as close to the floor as possible ) and then there is a 1/16th" recess in the bottom so the bottom washer to the pivot is flush with the bottom of the board.

It is held in place with three pieces of board cut to the interior shape of the oven. The following link will take you to an illustration of the set up:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...html#post19905

The plywood used for the platform attachment illustrated at the link below was 3/8"

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/atta...eme-stand3.jpg

Good Luck with the build, I should have put mine on wheels.

Jim
                  Last edited by jcg31; 11-09-2011, 08:07 PM.

Comment

Jim, I thank you again for photos and information on your placement tool. I'm going to build one. Did you consider/try using it to hold a rubber ball at the top of the dome? Not that I think your results could be much improved.

As for size, I do need capability for high volume production with several people involved. 44" is as small as I want to go. The weight is no problem for the wagon I'm putting it on, and my GMC dually will hardly notice it when towing.

I suspect moving this oven will cause some cracking and perhaps more serious damage, but I'll be careful, and I only need to get through one season. By then it will have generated enough capital to replace itself with a refractory casting model, or I'll know that my idea doesn't work. The material cost for what I want to do is miniscule compared with purchasing a cast oven kit. Who knows, it may hold up better than skeptics think. Apparently the original portables were moved on ox carts with no suspension.

Thanks for all your input.

Jim in NC

Comment

Working...
                    X