Roof-thinking ahead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roof-thinking ahead

I know I am not ready yet but I am thinking ahead to the outside appearance of my build.
    I see some guys use wood on the metal studded roof rafters.
    Is this ok? I thought wood was not recommended.
    Secondly, if wood sheeting is ok on the roof then asphalt shingles should also.
    I would rather use all stone but need to look at mor build photos to get ideas.
    Maybe a metal roof. The real stones I have are heavy.
    Gino

Re: Roof-thinking ahead

Originally posted by gtofani View Post
    I know I am not ready yet but I am thinking ahead to the outside appearance of my build.
    I see some guys use wood on the metal studded roof rafters.
    Is this ok? I thought wood was not recommended.
    Secondly, if wood sheeting is ok on the roof then asphalt shingles should also.
    I would rather use all stone but need to look at mor build photos to get ideas.
    Maybe a metal roof. The real stones I have are heavy.
    I used cement board and steel studs within 12 inches of the flue, a metal superstructure and 4 ply half inch over the rest of the roof. Standing seam metal on top.

There is over a foot of ceramic and perlite between the outside of the oven and any wood so I am feeling quite fire proof.

Chip
    Chip

Comment

Here is my ply timber and asphalt roof.
      There is 2" of ceramic fibre on top of the oven and a foot of vermiculite, I doubt its going to burst into flames any time soon.
      The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

I made trusses from 2 steel studs one inside the other, and concrete roofing tiles.

The only issue with concrete tiles is I will have a bit of fund closing the 'attic' to critters because the tiles are 'wiggly' on the underside.

Comment

I was considering using old slate from a barn over cement board. If I screw it on it should be ok. Or maybe even plywood over the cement board.
          I do think that a wood roof would be safe from fire with the 3" blanket and vermiculite barrier.
          Gino

Comment

I screwed metal 'straps' horizontally across my metal trusses - no 'deck' of any type.

The guy who sold me the tiles told me you didn't need one. I can and have walked on my tiles and its plenty solid. Slate may need a deck, I don't know, but I'd stick with cement board.

I believe you are mistaken if you are thinking the fire risk come from the oven. It is more likely to come from the fact you are burning wood and have a short chimney. It just takes one ember to make its way onto a flammable roof and you are done.

Thats usually how forest fires burn down houses.

Anyhow, I've done plenty of asphalt roofs and never concrete. It looks pretty cool and should fit into the overall look of the building.

Comment

Good point on the danger coming from the chimney rather than the oven.
              I may even go the route of covering the whole thing in stone as I have seen in the photos of other builds. I have plenty of time to figure it out.
              Gino

Comment

I was going to buy stone for mine. They have this 'real stone' stuff with is cut to thickness. I got quoted $4000 for my little oven. I told the guy for that amount of money I'll go pick stones off my fields!

Comment

Originally posted by gtofani View Post
                  I was considering using old slate from a barn over cement board. If I screw it on it should be ok. Or maybe even plywood over the cement board.
                  I do think that a wood roof would be safe from fire with the 3" blanket and vermiculite barrier.
                  That is very similar to what we did, if you want to check out our pics, here is the link
                  https://picasaweb.google.com/litwa.m...WoodFiredOven#
                  good luck!

Comment

I like the old wood beams sticking out, it gives me some ideas.
                    I still will build my framing from the steel studs but it would be nice to have the old style beams sticking out at the bottom corners and the peak.
                    Nice job on your oven.

I also noticed you were cooking with a tarp over your oven, did you have the insulation on already?
                    Last edited by gtofani; 11-07-2011, 04:57 PM.
                    Gino

Comment

Woods Witch
                      Nice job!

I see you did a fieldstone veneer like I am planning. Do you have any resources (youtube, whatever) which gives some tips as to how to do this?

I laid my first brick when I started my oven, so I'm not exactly a skilled mason!

Comment

I am lucky that the property I built my home on had and old house we tore down that had the old sandstone foundation as well as an old well house foundation, I have used these stone over the past 15 years for everything, even the exterior of my detached garage. It cuts like a loaf of bread. (a hard loaf).
                        I plan on using the stone on my pizza oven also.

Installing the fieldstone or cut sandstone is not difficult. I nailed the metal mesh to the building then mortared in a row at a time because I was dealing with large stone sizes.
                        You can butter up the back of the stone and set it in place with a wedge to leave the mortar gap and then fill in the mortar. I like to place the mortar joint as I go even if I have a wedge or stone piece holding the larger stone up off of the lower stone. Since real stone is heavier, I recommend only one row at a time until the mortar sets up. Smaller stones allow you to do multiple rows at once. Make sure you wash the stone before using them. You can not put too many nails in the metal mesh if you are using it. I am not sure you need it on the cement board though.
                        Last edited by gtofani; 11-08-2011, 09:33 AM.
                        Gino

Comment

Wow - you are lucky. I'm on the Canadian Shield and all I got is vast quantites of hard, round rocks.

Thanks for the tips!

Comment

You will appreciate your oven much more if you gather the stones from around your home as opposed to buying them.
                            Gino

Comment

I also noticed you were cooking with a tarp over your oven, did you have the insulation on already?[/QUOTE]

We did have refractory blanketing on the dome when those pix were taken. Before we closed the roof in, we loaded it up with as much insulation that we could fit in. You can't see it in any of our pics, but in the back of the oven we cut a hole about 8" in diameter and put a copper cover over it to allow moisture to escape. Our oven retains heat very, very nicely.

Comment

Working...
                              X