Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saftey dropsaw chopsaw bricksaw

Gudday All
    Its a bit embarrassing but I have done major damage to my left hand with a drop saw.
    I am a cobbler and work with my hands every day. I use machines that can slice/dice/chop you everyday. I have been involved with industrial saftey since my navy days. I'm a trade teacher and teach saftey.... every time you present a new module it the first thing you do.
    I am cutting 1' to 2' wet firewood. Dropsaw screwed to a plank. Plank clamped to a pair of saw horses, wheelbarrow for cut wood so it doesn't build up underfoot. lenghts of wood off to one side. Hearing protection, good light no need to rush.... what could go wrong!

Click image for larger version

Name:	dropsaw.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	318058

The result is a hand that will be unusable for a number of months. Compond fractures, loss of blood supply, damaged ,nerves, tendons. Docs are happy they could save all my fingers and are suprised that I have them all they say possibly the saw was turning but not under power at the time. My neighbours put the offendng saw away everythings intact but the blade guard is stuck up and the blade is unprotected. Off course I grab those points at first ...blade possible not under power but turning....saftey guard stuck up!
    But I still do not remember a thing .....shock does that. There will always be that doubt.... did I do something stupid...unsafe.
    If you shocked by this.....GOOD!!!!
    Stay safe. Think when you do a one handed angle grinder cut.....hold that slither of brick by hand under that saw. You may get away with it but yet again you may not........

I'm not sorry for the subject matter!!!
    but regards Dave
    Measure twice
    Cut once
    Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
    My Door
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Re: Saftey dropsaw chopsaw bricksaw

Sorry for your injury. It happens. Safety is always important. My favorite injury is with the nail gun. Shoot a stud through the top plate and the nail shoots crooked and the next thing you know your nailed to your work. Never fun to get hurt.

Comment

Sorry Dave. Thanks for reminding us to take great care in protecting the gifts we sometimes take for granted.

Comment

Dave

Sorry about the hand, there but for the grace of God etc.

My old man used to tell the story, common in the timber trade, that when applying for a

job in a joinery works after the war...if you had all your fingers they didn't want you as

you were obviously too bloody slow and careful!!!

Take care and hope it heals well

Regards

Dave Ly

Comment

Thanks Dave Ly
          Good point...and I like the humour
          The hands healing well....to slowly and to painfully sometimes but I'll get it functioning some time soon.
          I have been working the front counter of my shop to keep myself usefull...at least the mouth still works. I have had probable 10 of my customers hear about the accident and come in to compare scars and encourage me that it will heal.
          Now thats 10 men of all ages with various tools that have inflicted their injuries...chainsaws, electric, hedge trimmers even. All have said much the same. They were familar with the tool, it happened in secounds, they coundn't exactly remember what happened, and only pieced it together after.
          Careless, too familar with the tool, complacent?...I don't think there is just one cause or answer.
          Thanks again Dave Ly for keeping this thread moving with your comment...any other comments are welcome all to keep the thread read for a little longer so that we think about doing our 'weekend warrior' stuff a little safer
          Regards Dave
          Measure twice
          Cut once
          Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
          My Door
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Dave, Thanks for the reminder..........

Faith........Been there done that.........no Sir......didn't like it one bit!

The older I get the more careful I am........BUT...fell off a roof for the first time in my life this past spring.........Being careful no less!

Comment

Dave I hope things heal properly for you.

I "almost" cut off a finger some years ago and it took ages to come good.
              I got to the point with all the pain that I seriously contemplated finishing the job and just cutting it off, I got so close many times to doing it.

It took 3 years to come good with no pain and to be usable again.
              The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Working...
              X