Red Bricks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Bricks?

Hi everyone, We are building an oven and have read that the three hole red bricks can be used for dome but are not recommended. Someone on the web had a blog of one they built with them and have had good success and enjoy the oven very much. We need to do this on a budget, I want to make a good oven and do what is best. Base built, pouring top soon. Comments welcome and needed.

Re: Red Bricks?

VJ,

If they are standard core bricks I would avoid them. If you are going to cut corners on the build this is one area I would not do so. It's a lot of work just to watch it crumble. Even good refractory material will turn to dust with use.
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Thanks Les, so it's a no go on the red bricks. Will look into fire brick now. Our first thought was to make a clay or cobb oven, then we found this wonderful site and went with brick. My problem now is size. I only have room on my base for a 30" ID oven. The info on clay ovens said 20"-27" was a good size. Is 30 too small? And how big of an opening?

Comment

One thing people should understand is making the actual oven dome is a *lot* of work. You really don't want to scrimp on materials, bricks in particular, but mortar as well, not matter what anybody says.

If they are right, you save a few bucks. If they are wrong, you have to do it all over again.

Comment

Originally posted by VJ Dickens View Post
          . The info on clay ovens said 20"-27" was a good size. Is 30 too small? And how big of an opening?
          I think a small oven is better than no oven. As far as the opening, look through the plans and just scale it down. There is a ratio but I don't recall what it is.
          Last edited by Les; 11-17-2011, 07:49 PM.
          Check out my pictures here:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Height of opening ideal is 63 percent of total oven height inside.

Width is about same as height of oven interior height

So for a 30 inch oven the dome height would be 15 inches
            The door height 9.75 inches
            Door width 15 inches

These are not hard numbers but a good guide.
            Chip
            Chip

Comment

Working...
            X