QEP Tile Saw @ Home Depot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QEP Tile Saw @ Home Depot?

I am shopping for a tile saw to build my oven. I know that most folks here seem to have gone with the HF unit - but I wondered if anyone has looked at/used this QEP unit at Home Depot?

24 in. Dual Speed Tile Saw, 2 HP Motor, Wet Cutting, with 10 in. Continuous Rim Diamond Blade-60020 at The Home Depot

It's $279 - and it comes with the blade and the stand.

By comparison, the best deal I can get on the HF saw + blade + stand is $298 right now if I use a 20% off coupon on both the saw and the stand.

Reviews of the saw on the HD site seem mostly positive. A few complaints about the blade, and OOB problems - but people who've actually used it seem satisified. Probably more than sufficient for a single job buy.

Anyone have any insights?

thanks
    Dennis
    My build progress
    My WFO Journal on Facebook
    My dome spreadsheet calculator

Re: QEP Tile Saw @ Home Depot?

I have and use a couple of wet saws....and from experience I prefer one with a smaller blade than 10"......The larger the blade, the more drift you get.
    Drift (my explanation) is when the blade goes off to one side or the other....giving you a less than accurate or straight cut. I hope this makes sense.....

Comment

i assume you are talking about a 7" unit then? I thought the issue was that with 7" blades you can't cut through a fire brick w/o flipping it? Most people seem to go with the 10" unit at HF.

7" units are definitely cheaper...
      My build progress

Comment

If a 7" will cut the brick, then that's what I'd use....if not, then you have no choice..

It would only be crucial when cutting "wedges" for a tighter fit I suppose....

Comment

I have the HF saw and am happy with it so far. But, looking at the HD link for the saw you mentioned and the price: I would say go with the HD. They seem to be clones and (I think) HD screens their products a little better than HF. Just sayin'.
          Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Damn. Price is up to $296 today. Shoulda woulda coulda pulled the trigger yesterday!
            My build progress

Comment

I have and use a couple of wet saws....and from experience I prefer one with a smaller blade than 10"......The larger the blade, the more drift you get.
              DJO,
              You really want the largest blade you can afford. 14" is ideal because it can cut through a firebrick in one pass, but the majority of builders (including me) do just fine with a 10" saw. FWIW, I started my build with the HF saw and found that the blade drifted for two reasons: 1) the blade was thinner than the one I have now and tended to deflect 2) the water jets on the HF saw tended to become clogged over time and the spray diminished, causing the blade to heat up and deflect. Since the HD saw looks identical to the HF saw, regardless of the model you buy, make sure you keep the jets clear. I acquired a commercial 10" MK 101 saw that I've been using to finish up my oven and the volume of water it's jets produces is much greater than my HF and has made the blade act and perform like its brand new.
              John

Comment

BTW.....I was in Home Depot today and saw (no pun intended) a Ryobi 7" for $99!!

I didn't have time to investigate it much but it's practically a throwaway at that price...

Also....GianniFocaccia....I agree ONLY if it's a quality, Heavy blade....the whimpy ones that usually come with the saw are too thin to maintain a straight cut...(in the larger diameters)

Comment

Stay away from the smaller blades. A 7 inch blade will cut a tad less than 3 inches when at full depth/extension so 2 or three passes. I used an HF saw with an expensive blade and a $20 Dewalt blade - huge diff. At work (A copper smelter) we use 14 inch blades and I wish I could have done my cutting with that instead as the blade is the BOMB and was more accurate (and yes a larger kerf).
                  Jen-Aire 5 burner propane grill/Char Broil Smoker

Follow my build Chris' WFO

Comment

Working...
                  X