Blow Peel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blow Peel

Following on from this thread I got thinking about how to blow the pizza off the peel without slagging all over it.

I started off using the same equipment in the pics but with a rubber blow nozzle, the kind you would use to clean a camera or such.
    It didnt have enough air to completely remove the pizza but the pizza did float.

More air was needed.

My latest attempt is with a leather bucket, the kind they use in old water pumps, its a perfect fit in the alloy tube too.

Its still in the development stage and Im still waiting for the silastic to set around the wooden plug in the peel end.

The cup will probably need some lube to seal it and give it more umph so Im thinking of using olive oil.

The peel is made from 3 very thin pieces of ply with the middle having a slit down it for the tube to live in, there is as you can see a 1/4" hole to let the air out and blow the pizza..

Materials.
    (Even though we are mostly metric, lots of things are still sold in imperial. )
    1 x 900mm of 3/4" id alloy tube.
    1 x 3/4" leather bucket.
    1M x 3/4 in broom handle.
    1M 1/4 vinyl tube ( I ended up only using about 300mm).
    Screw, washer, silastic.
    1 sheet 900mm x 600mm x 3mm ply.

Cost about $20.

More to come
    Last edited by brickie in oz; 12-13-2011, 09:55 PM.
    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Re: Blow Peel

I admire your ingenuity, but doesn't a little flour do the same thing? and a lot more hygienically.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Maybe, maybe not?

The other thread above was using flour and the pizza stuck, Ive used flour and it sticks, so hence Blow Peel..

My Build.

Books.

Comment

We had some difficulty with sticking pizza too. Finally, we began to use a LOT of flour with a perforated peel. That seems to work well enough. However, I had considered trying one of those cans of compressed air, (the kind you use to clean a keyboard or other electronic device), to float a stuck pizza. Anybody ever tried that?
        Lee B.
        DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

If they stick, just shaking the peel, sometimes up to 10 secs usually releases it. We always give it a shake after applying the sauce. A little semolina flour works like mini ball bearings that the base can roll over.
          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

I use rice flour that I grind at home for the peel. I once used glutinous rice flour and it burned like crazy even though the pizza did not stick. I like the blow peel though, just wondering if you should have more holes dispersed across the surface to avoid one big center bubble.
            Jen-Aire 5 burner propane grill/Char Broil Smoker

Follow my build Chris' WFO

Comment

Originally posted by C5dad View Post
              just wondering if you should have more holes dispersed across the surface to avoid one big center bubble.
              I did wonder that and can always drill more if need be.

I thought that more holes would let the air under the pizza escape from the back holes as the pizza slid off?

My Build.

Books.

Comment

@Lburou
                I wouldn't use the keyboard air. It seems to have some nasty chemicals in it. If i can't pronounce them, I'd rather not have them in my food.
                - Jeff
                Jeff
                My 42-inch build

Comment

Working...
                X