How to mortar bricks together?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to mortar bricks together?

Okay - stupid questions are easy to answer - right? So here it goes...
    When attempting to mortar bricks together, does one...
    A) position the bricks first and then put the mortar between the bricks,
    B) put the mortar on the bricks and tap the bricks into position (with a mallet or other suitable tool) squeezing the mortar out to get the right spacing
    C) A and B - it depends, or
    D) I do something else (please explain).

I ask this because the homebrew doesn't work well for me to do B)
    The Heatstop50 works well for A and B, but it is soooo expensive.

Thanks for all your help. I need it as I restart my dome on Saturday.

Jeff
    Jeff
    My 42-inch build

Re: How to mortar bricks together?

Dry fit the cut brick, then apply mortar and press into place. You are doing something wrong if it requires a mallet to adjust it.

Comment

I used the homebrew for my dome and it worked well for me. I mortared during the summer heat, so moisture content was critical for getting the mortar to work. I cut and fit the bricks by row, soaked the bricks as I went along for about 10 minutes or so, sprayed water on the area where the brick would be mortared, buttered the brick, set it, pushed mortar into each joint with gloved fingers, and by then it was set. I think the moisture content of the mortar, or bricks too wet or too dry might be your issue. I used the 3:1:1:1 recipe (fine sand, portland, lime, fireclay). Hope this helps, good luck.
      Leigh

Comment

PI,

There is a little bit of an art to applying the mortar and setting the brick without making a mess of things. I think the easiest approach is to trowel some mortar on the bottom brick and set it into place. After you place the row, go back using a grout bag to fill the voids. Without the mortar squishing out all over the place, it allows you see your lines a whole lot clearer. (I know all the masons on the planet are screaming right now but it will get the job done).
        Check out my pictures here:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

This will give you an idea
          He didnt tap with his trowel because it was inline with the string
          the cocktail of brick laying - YouTube

Comment

This old bloke is good at laying he some how looks familiar.....

All the bricks are stacked face up within reach and........no tapping......
            Last edited by brickie in oz; 01-05-2012, 01:52 AM.
            The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post

Its not just the string, I think he has one of those 'calibrated eye balls'!
              Lee B.
              DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

There are many techniques all of which work. The only thing to guard against is having voids in the mortar.

Comment

There are numerous posts here by experienced masons who recommend not soaking your bricks. Because of this warning, I stopped soaking my bricks and merely sprayed the surfaces with a fine mist. Adjusting the (homebrew) mortar (wetter) made the biggest difference to me and through a little practice I learned to butter my brick so that there was no void, and almost no mortar squishing out between bricks. I ended up using a mortar that was much wetter than when I first started, but the brick absorbed this moisture beautifully leaving a very quickly-set brick.
                  John

Comment

Gudday
                    Most Mug bricklayers (yes I masonary impairded) cant help themselves and play with the mortar with thier bare hands. If you really cant help yourself
                    a. don't pick you nose
                    b. if you hands sting with cement burns wash them off them wash then in neat vinegar to take away the sting.

Regards Dave
                    Measure twice
                    Cut once
                    Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                    My Door
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post

Al - very impressive - you are a friggen machine! Took me many evenings to do my island. At the rate you move, it could have been done in a day.
                      Check out my pictures here:
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Thanks Les.....

On that job there was 4000 bricks delivered, my son and I loaded them out in half a day, we laid the whole 4000 in the next two days with him spreading me laying.
                        The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

4000 bricks in 2 days - my hands hurt just thinking about it.

Thanks for the all the great advice. This is a great site!

I wasn't aware of a mortar bag. I think that will help and picked one up yesterday.
                          I forgot about the gloves.
                          I've got two bags of heatstop50 to get started. Well it's off to build the arch form and start laying some brick!

Jeff

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/j...ear-16011.html
                          Jeff
                          My 42-inch build

Comment

Working...
                          X