Wet mortar in freezing temperatures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wet mortar in freezing temperatures

I'm trying to make progress on my dome, but there is still the risk of freezing temperatures at night (low 20s). The days are in the 40s (sometimes 50s).
    I've heard of putting antifreeze in concrete and mortar to allow construction projects to continue.
    Does anyone have any experience on using antifreeze in refractory mortar or homebrew?
    Are there other chemicals to consider adding instead?

I'm thinking I'll likely put a blanket over the open dome with a tarp over it and then a 60 watt bulb inside the oven (away from the blanket hoping there's enough warmth to keep the mortar from freezing.

Thanks again for the help.

Jeff
    Jeff
    My 42-inch build

Re: Wet mortar in freezing temperatures

I'd stick to the blanket plan. I know that concrete curing needs temps above freezing, 50F if I remember correctly.

Chris

Comment

40 degrees and rising, no freezing temps within 24 hours is the standard for cold weather masonry.

Comment

Thanks Tom!

Chris

Comment

Thanks for the help. I'll go with the blanket and light bulb to keep things above freezing once it cools off here again.

The good news is that here in the upstate of South Carolina once I get past tonight, it's going to be highs around 60 and lows around 40 for the next 10 days.
          Now I just have to deal with the 70% chance of rain on Saturday. Better rain than frost.

Jeff
          Jeff
          My 42-inch build

Comment

Working...
          X