What Tools are Necessary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Tools are Necessary?

What oven tools do you guys think are necessary for the residential pizza oven user?

Erd

Re: What Tools are Necessary?

Blow pipe, 8 inch banjo peel, hook to pull pots and pans, brass brush, rake / hoe, ash bucket, some way to light up inside of oven, well insulated door, IR thermometer, cotton mop with ringer, blast door, hot pads or gloves, a nice set of cast iron pans and enameled cast pots, rib rack, beer can chicken rack, perforated pizza pans (optional), pizza peel, roll of parchment paper, proofing linens, proofing trays, pizza cutter

several of my tools have aluminum handles, they are very cold to hold when it is below freezing. Wood is much nicer.
    That is it for now.

Chip
    Chip

Comment

Originally posted by mrchipster View Post
      Blow pipe, 8 inch banjo peel, hook to pull pots and pans, brass brush, rake / hoe, ash bucket, some way to light up inside of oven, well insulated door, IR thermometer, cotton mop with ringer, blast door, hot pads or gloves, a nice set of cast iron pans and enameled cast pots, rib rack, beer can chicken rack, perforated pizza pans (optional), pizza peel, roll of parchment paper, proofing linens, proofing trays, pizza cutter

several of my tools have aluminum handles, they are very cold to hold when it is below freezing. Wood is much nicer.
      That is it for now.

Chip
      .....And a partrige in a pear tree.....

Go Big Red!
      Lee B.
      DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Blow pipe,
        Chip used to live in the Amazon jungle an catch his own food.
        The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
          Chip used to live in the Amazon jungle an catch his own food.
          Now it is only good for keeping the fire lit.... Well and getting squirrels for lunch.

Chip
          Chip

Comment

That is it for now.

Chip
            Thanks! So the actual oven tools that one would need are the following? Peel, turning peel, rake, shovel, brush?

Erd

Comment

Originally posted by Erdbeereis View Post
              Thanks! So the actual oven tools that one would need are the following? Peel, turning peel, rake, shovel, brush?

Erd
              Erd,
              I do find that I use the Blow pipe enough to justify having it; it does a great job of blowing of the last bit of ash from the floor. Mine is just an aluminum Cross Country ski pole with the handle removed and tip cut off. Others have used metal shaft golf clubs (head and handle cut).

I do not have a shovel I use the banjo (turning) peel for removal of ash.

Tools photo left to right
              Mop - BTW currently frozen stiff
              Brush
              Baguette Placer (think Peel that rolls bread off gently to the side)
              Rake
              Blow Pipe
              Pot Hook -- also works well to move wood around
              Banjo Peel (Turning Peel)
              Perf. Pizza Peel

Chip
              Last edited by mrchipster; 02-08-2012, 01:12 PM.
              Chip

Comment

Erd,
                I do find that I use the Blow pipe enough to justify having it; it does a great job of blowing of the last bit of ash from the floor. Mine is just an aluminum Cross Country ski pole with the handle removed and tip cut off. Others have used metal shaft golf clubs (head and handle cut).

I do not have a shovel I use the banjo (turning) peel for removal of ash.

Tools photo left to right
                Mop - BTW currently frozen stiff
                Brush
                Baguette Placer (think Peel that rolls bread off gently to the side)
                Rake
                Blow Pipe
                Pot Hook -- also works well to move wood around
                Banjo Peel (Turning Peel)
                Perf. Pizza Peel

Chip
                Thanks! What do you use the mop for?

Erd

Comment

I make bread and it is used to mop the floor prior to baking bread. It adds moisture to the oven giving the bread a better crust and texture (think holes).

It also takes some of the heat out of the floor to prevent the Bottom from burning.

And lastly it cleans the ash off the floor. Nice clean bread.

Chip
                  Chip

Comment

Working...
                  X