concrete lintels instead of pouring concrete

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• concrete lintels instead of pouring concrete

Has anyone tried just setting 8" x 4" lintels across the base instead of pouring concrete? it would be more costly but one heck of a lot easier. then set the FB board on the lintels.

Re: concrete lintels instead of pouring concrete

What part of the oven are you referring to? If you mean the upper platform, they will crack and probably collapse. Concrete doesn't have much bending strength which is why you have to add steel reinforcing.

Comment

Assume you mean 8 feet x 4 inches? not sure what is gained by an 8 inch x 4 inch lintel

But 8 feet sounds like it would be an awkward length to use. Most hearths are maybe 6 1/2 x 5 feet.

And pouring the concrete is really not so hard, unless you have a place that is super difficult to reach. My pour was at the top of 50 stairs - and I still would have rather carried 80 lb sacks of concrete than ??? hundred pound lintels.
      My build progress
      My WFO Journal on Facebook
      My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Concrete lintels are 8" high to match standard block. They put rebar in it so it is strong enough to use across 8' garage doors and 3' man doors. any concrete company will cut them to length for you so my wife thought "why not use them instead of concrete to make the hearth base. in my case they would be 70" long and 8" high and 3.5" wide. To span the entire hearth you would need 27 of them making it a little pricey but easy. In my opinion they would not break.

Comment

Originally posted by Dagored154 View Post
          Concrete lintels are 8" high to match standard block. They put rebar in it so it is strong enough to use across 8' garage doors .......To span the entire hearth you would need 27 of them making it a little pricey but easy. In my opinion they would not break.
          I am sure that they would hold up anything that you would build into a WFO. The rebar is more than likely prestressed ,making them even stronger than the equivalant beam that you would pour on site. If it were me I would pour the concrete, you will pour enough $$$$$$ into this project before it is over .
          Just sayin'
          Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Good point. yesterday I made that decision to go with the poured concrete instead of the lintel idea. try to save some money.

Comment

I only used a concrete lintel to span the wood storage opening. It works great. Those things are heavy. Prefered this to using angle iron to support the span for the blocks.

Just starting my 42" build. Will be moving to Pizza oven floor this week.

Manny

Comment

I did the same. I bought the steel for $11 bucks and then made a dry run with it. did not like it from the get go and drove 15 miles to get the concrete lintels before the cement place closed at noon. way better. i see you mortared your joints. I didn't do that but did fill the entire base with rebar and concrete. we are pouring the hearth base on saturday. just found out today that the FB Board and blanket cost with shipping is unreal. over $700 just for those items. good grief! if I had known that cost I would have opted for the vermicrete mix. good luck with yours.

Comment

You can also form up the sides and underneath with with lumber or plywood and pour the lintel monlithic with the hearth.

It gives a little more head room.
                  I formed an arch on top of mine but it can be formed straight as well.
                  UtahBeehiver has an excellent one designed into a corner build,
                  Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

now that is fancy. nice job

Comment

Working...
                    X