Outer dome template

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outer dome template

When I built my first oven I wanted to continue the dome theme for the outside. The tool suggested in the plans for the inner dome worked wonderfully but I obviously couldn't use it for an outer dome.

Instead I used an outer template held in place by a vertical threaded rod fixed to the centre of the inner dome and supported by some wood above. The template can easily swing round the outer dome and each brick is placed so that it fits up to the template. That way you get a perfect outer dome. I dispensed with it towards the top layers and that's where it got a bit freestyle!

I'm building my second one now that we've moved to Aylesbury and am going to use the same method but all the way to the top to keep it perfect.

Re: Outer dome template

Good looking oven, I like it a lot. Did you fill the space with perlite?

Comment

Thanks.

I wrapped high temp blanket around the inner dome and then back filled with vermiculite. I forgot to mention that towards the top where the bricks tend to fall in, I was able to lay them onto the vermiculite and basically wedge them in place until the mortar set enough to remove the wedges. It was a bit fiddly but worked well in the end.

Comment

Nice solution. Are you going to finish or coat the outside of the bricks ?

Comment

Your oven looks great. I love the Igloo style finished with brick.
          I have something simular going on except that I will be using my guage to help form a 4" vcrete layer. I then will apply brick flooring splits to get the brick look.
          My guage
          Last edited by Gulf; 06-07-2012, 02:35 AM. Reason: incomplete post
          Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

nice job on your oven.
            "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Picasa photo library:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1043493...lleryMay192012

Comment

Working...
            X