the WRONG perlite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the WRONG perlite

A friendly warning: I purchased some Miracle-Gro brand bags of perlite for my insulating concrete layer, mixed it into perlcrete and started applying it when I noticed a strong ammonia smell. Turns out (in very fine print on the bag) the perlite was "enhanced" with fertilizer. I had to rip out my lath down to the insulation blanket to avoid cooking fertilizer between the dome and stucco! Set my progress back 2 days.

Jamie

Re: the WRONG perlite

Don't buy ANYTHING that says Miracle grow.

Comment

Originally posted by JamieC View Post
      A friendly warning: I purchased some Miracle-Gro brand bags of perlite for my insulating concrete layer, mixed it into perlcrete and started applying it when I noticed a strong ammonia smell. Turns out (in very fine print on the bag) the perlite was "enhanced" with fertilizer. I had to rip out my lath down to the insulation blanket to avoid cooking fertilizer between the dome and stucco! Set my progress back 2 days.

Jamie
      Just drop that unusable vermiculite off here on your next trip t Dallas
      Sorry for the surprise. I don't like surprises.
      Lee B.
      DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Sorry, I got so mad at it that I threw away the last batch as well (it was already wet down in the mixing tub). About to mix up another batch and get the insulating concrete on the dome today. If at first you don't succeed ...

Comment

Working...
        X