Infrared Thermometer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Infrared Thermometer

Can anyone recommend a infrared thermometer?

Re: Infrared Thermometer

I've had great success with the one which is periodically on sale for about $29 at Harbor Freight. Top of the line instruments (Fluke, etc.) are surely better, but the one from HB does the job just fine. I've heard that the one Forno Bravo sells can be set so you can sweep over an area and get the average (or is it the highest or lowest?) temp, which would be interesting, but the cheap one I have works very well and is more than adequate for pizza and bread.

Karl

Comment

This is what I use:

GM700 1.5" LCD Non-Contact Infrared Thermometer - Yellow + Black (1 x 9V) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

No matter what thermometer you go with, make sure it goes to at least 1100 F so you can take readings of the dome.

Comment

I use the HF one as well. Only goes to 950 or something, but I find that more than sufficient. I didn't feel like I needed to know how much the dome is over that temperature. Or at least I was not willing to pay any more for that info.
        My build progress
        My WFO Journal on Facebook
        My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

I prefer not being limited by equipment and as a result went for a Pro version that has a temperature range: -50 - 1000?C (-58 - 1832?F). Great results with it and I use it all the time. More details here: Pro High Temperature Non-Contact Thermometer - Jaycar Electronics
          / Rossco

Comment

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
            I use the HF one as well. Only goes to 950 or something, but I find that more than sufficient. I didn't feel like I needed to know how much the dome is over that temperature. Or at least I was not willing to pay any more for that info.
            Ditto - that's what I use. The price was definitely right. I'm just concerned about the temp of the hearth as that is where I tend to cook things.
            Check out my pictures here:
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Since my oven isn't finished yet, my Harbor Freight cheapy works great at driving the cat nuts...

Comment

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
                And that might have been all that was available to you at the time. But now... my thermometer is $30 and goes to 1292F. $30 for 1292F vs $30 for 950F is a no brainer.

Comment

Originally posted by scott123 View Post
                  ........ my thermometer is $30 and goes to 1292F..........
                  Is that also from HF?
                  EDIT: Found it, just read earlier post.
                  Last edited by Gulf; 06-20-2012, 05:17 PM. Reason: just read earlier post
                  Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

HF unit was $25 a couple weeks ago and I was in the store picking up a blade, so I didn't bother shopping. Plus I can take it back if it fails, which given chinese tool quality is a distinct possibility.
                    My build progress
                    My WFO Journal on Facebook
                    My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Plus I can take it back if it fails, which given chinese tool quality is a distinct possibility.
                      When I bought mine, it was $40 AND the HF salesguy claimed it was a German chip inside. It takes a wedge of (chinese?) paper to keep the battery in place, but the laser hasn't failed (yet).

Comment

Originally posted by tagertim View Post
                        Can anyone recommend a infrared thermometer?
                        Sure, you can use infrared thermometer for the dehydrator, simply point the laser in to the oven, then the IR thermometer shows the temperature quickly.

if you need to get delivered an infrared thermometer to your home in Sri Lanka,
                        please visit my site.

Infrared Thermometer

Comment

sure you can use an infrared thermometer for this purpose. i used the following thermometer for that purpose. it is gm330 ir thermometer.

Infrared Thermometer For Sale in Sri Lanka Free Delivery

Comment

I thought I would post this, I cam across this website that rates the best infrared thermometers, What's the Best Infrared Thermometer? - Simple Pyrometry

Lots of reviews, good info

Comment

Working...
                            X