Which Harbor freight Saw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Harbor freight Saw

I was at harbor freight as I'm getting ready to start my build and need the saw. I was told the 10" saw is being discontinued and there is a new model out, which is totally redesigned. The spec on the page says only 7 AMPS as the old one is 15 but when I looked at the motor itself it said 15 as well. So it looks like the same motor. All things being equal anyone have any thoughts on which one would be better. The new saw has a different tray and cutting guide, which I thought might be better. Since I have yet to cut bricks I thought some of you would have a better idea as to which one seems like the better choice. Here are the links to the 2 saws. Thanks for any input.

Old Saw
    10" Tile & Brick Saw - 2.5 HP

New Saw

2.5 Horsepower 10" Industrial Tile/Brick Saw

Re: Which Harbor freight Saw

The fact that the head pivots makes it more versatile - I would go with the new model. Will they offer you a discount if you purchase the old one?
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

They will not discount the old one any further, I can get either one for $249 and they will let me use the 20% coupon. If I go with the old one I can get the stand for $25 instead of $60 as they will discount that. Did anyone get the extended warranty? I'm usually against buying them but as I need to cut all these bricks which will get real dusty, I'm not sure if I should get it. Thanks

Comment

Isn't the standard warranty 1 year? I didn't buy it but I did blow the start capacitor. I was able to repair it myself for less than 6 bucks.

Comment

dlebla,

Like Les said, the pivot head will make the new model more versatile, I used the old HF say but I have to say, my bevel cuts were never exactly 22.5 or 45. One thing I did learn from the forum, place the pump in a separate clean buck of water or your pump will crap out. Did this from day one and not a bit of problem with the pump. As things considered, sound like you would be better off with the new model. I did not buy the warranty but did buy with an AMEX card which matches and extends the normal warranty by the existing term. I think some other CC cards do the same.
          Russell
          Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

I have used the old saw which has served me well, but the pivot head would certainly be useful.
            One thing I would recommend is the purchase of a diamond blade at some place other than HF. I had purchased the HF diamond blade (about $30) at the time I got the saw, but it wore out by the time I finished cutting the floor, soldier, and the first two courses. Got a Husky replacement blade at Home Depot. Haven't used it enough (cutting three additional courses) to know if it will last longer, but it was $39 compared to the $30 HF blade, and it seems to be holding up better.

Comment

Originally posted by rjdealhome View Post
              I have used the old saw which has served me well, but the pivot head would certainly be useful.
              One thing I would recommend is the purchase of a diamond blade at some place other than HF. I had purchased the HF diamond blade (about $30) at the time I got the saw, but it wore out by the time I finished cutting the floor, soldier, and the first two courses. Got a Husky replacement blade at Home Depot. Haven't used it enough (cutting three additional courses) to know if it will last longer, but it was $39 compared to the $30 HF blade, and it seems to be holding up better.
              Rjdealhome,
              Is this the blade that you got from HF?

I was about to send some praises this way on the HF blade that I used for a what I thought was a heck of a lot of cuts on my oven. Atleast, by far what you got, and more than what most would need to finish their ovens.
              I'm not knocking the HD blade because I don't have any experince with it. It just wasn't available at my local store at the time I needed a replacement. I am not sure how much longer it would have lasted but I screwed up and tried to cut one + or -70% alumina lime kiln brick which is what my retainer walls are made from.
              Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
                I am not sure how much longer it would have lasted but I screwed up and tried to cut one + or -70% alumina lime kiln brick which is what my retainer walls are made from.
                Yea, I sent a few harbor freight blades to purgatory cutting paver's. They seemed to do well on the softer firebrick - they didn't stand a chance against something hard.

Comment

Gulf:
                  Yes, that's the HF blade that I was using. Maybe I got a bummer, but I was down to the bare steel by the third course, as I mentioned earlier. There was absolutely nothing left on the edge, and all it would do was grind away on the brick, throwing sparks out all over the place. Actually,it was a bit disappointing, because it had been tearing through the brick earlier on, and overall I have been very happy with the saw.
                  We'll see how it goes with the Husky blade---may be no better in the end.
                  For what it's worth, I'm just cutting medium duty Maryland firebrick, manufactured by Mt. Savage. I'm putting an angle on the sides, but not beveling, so that is three cuts per brick.

Comment

Gulf,

Not to hijack this thread, I was wondering why my blades were not lasting. But after you mentioned about the 70% alumina brick the light bulb came on. My bricks are 65% alumina high duty bricks from a steel mill and I was only getting about 1.5 -2 courses per blade. I am on blade 9 right now, granted they are cheap blades from Ebay. So "rjdeal home", feel good you are only on your second blade.............
                    Russell
                    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
                      Gulf,

Not to hijack this thread, I was wondering why my blades were not lasting. But after you mentioned about the 70% alumina brick the light bulb came on. My bricks are 65% alumina high duty bricks from a steel mill and I was only getting about 1.5 -2 courses per blade. I am on blade 9 right now, granted they are cheap blades from Ebay. So "rjdeal home", feel good you are only on your second blade.............
                      I just gained a whole new respect for your build. Damn! I'm surprised that you ain't in to more blades that that. Prior to my oven, I had only cut bricks with a brick set. When I installed my retaining walls, I soon found out, that picking and sorting was the only way to go. That sht is hard.
                      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

I had the old version of the HR Saw and had the sames issues with the on/off box. I bought the new version when I started my build (40" dome) last month. I have used it for all of the cuts on the dome. I was able to get it for $269.00 and use the 20% off coupon making it $215.00. I bought the extended warr. after talking with the employees who said all you do is bring it back for any issue and they just give you a new unit in the box without question. This includes the pump dying.

The Good: new saw tilts to 45 deg and has adjustable guide for tray top. The tray is larger and has rubber padding. Water tray is plastic and lighter to move around.

The Bad: rubber pad is unsticking. LOUD motor.

I bought the HR blade and its about 50% remaining

Just my 2 cents.

MK

Comment

I don't have any idea how long the HF blades last but I got one of the Ridgid segmented blades and only used it on paver stones so far. I made probally 70 + cuts and the blade still looks new. Seams like a great blade.

Randy

Comment

I've built 2 complete ovens on one HF blade and it still looks to have a lot of life left in it. In my field of work we use expensive blades to cut daily. I was taught from the start of my apprenticeship to take it slow, let the blade do the cutting and not to force it for best blade life.

Comment

I am using the old saw right now on my build and it is holding up fine. I am also using a fairly cheap segmented blade, $35, for all my cutting. It is still going strong on course seven. I cut fairly slow.

I like that you can angle the head on the new saw. The adjustable guide tray looks like a winner of an idea also. I am not sure how the tray slides, but the old one is easy to clean if it gets all gritted up.

No doubt place your pump in a bucket of clean water next to the saw. Way better than in the muck.

David
                              "Leave the gun. Take the cannoli." - Peter Clemenza

Comment

Working...
                              X