Vent Arch Mortar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vent Arch Mortar

Hello, I'm at the point on my oven that i'm building the vent arch and chimney. I was wondering if it would be ok to use standard masons mortar for the vent arch and chimney? I used heat stop in the dome and everything. The vent arch i was thinking doesn't have a direct flame therefor wouldn't be as hot. I look forward to any opinions. Thanks!

Re: Vent Arch Mortar

It may get hotter than you think. Did you save any firebrick dust from your dome build? If so, you could substitute that for fire clay to make "homebrew".
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Thanks for getting back to me, i didnt save any dust from cutting the bricks. I looked on the materials appendix on the forno bravo website, and for the vent arch and chimney it says standard mortar. I just wanted to check before I went ahead and used it. My oven would only be occasional use. I won't be using it every day.

Comment

Harvest the brick dust when you cut your chimney bricks. Otherwise, a bag of fireclay costs around $9.

Comment

Originally posted by GianniFocaccia View Post
          Harvest the brick dust when you cut your chimney bricks. Otherwise, a bag of fireclay costs around $9.
          And you'll have an extra 75 pounds of it forever
          My build progress
          My WFO Journal on Facebook
          My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

I just used a ready mixed bag of mortar. The arch bricks do not get that hot, however i did place a piece of fibre glass rope as a heat barrier between the two arches.

My bricks are made from pumice and I can easily place my hand on the top of the dome when the interior is around 400 degrees C.

Comment

Working...
            X