Brick Saw - Advice Please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brick Saw - Advice Please!

I have seen some beautiful ovens here built with chisels, angle-grinders and the famous "HF Saw", but I haven't found anyone who used a "Bridge Saw"

I have access to this one - the head tilts so I can bevel the cuts, is there any reason I should NOT use it and go purchase a new HF Saw?

What are the drawbacks to using a bridge saw?

TIA,

Mike in Central Florida

Re: Brick Saw - Advice Please!

Mike,

I see no reason why you cannot use a bridge saw. Instead of the table moving the head is moving. The limitations will be the size of the blade. Can't tell, is it a 10" blade? I used the good old HF saw but if you have access to a bridge saw I say try it out. Is the blade height adjustable, that would be the only drawback if not. I made a jig for setting tapers and bevels which work for a bridge saw if blade height can be adjusted. Look at my Picassa album for details. BTW, your base looks topnotch and yes math is for real world projects.
    Russell
    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Thanks for the kind words on my base!

The saw is 10 inch and the head does tilt and it *might* be adjustable - if so I'll spend the $$ i save not buying a HF saw on additional foamglass and ceramic blanket

Comment

I used FoamGlas for my hearth combined with CaSi board. Mainly FoamGLas on bottom since it is water proof where CaSi is not. 2" FoamGlas with 1.5" CaSi. Only thing I would do different is slather the ends of the FoamGlas with homebrew right off the bat. It is fragile and homebrew will protect the FoamGlas from getting broken or dinged up. Again pics in my Picassa album.
        Russell

Comment

Russell,

I have a source for 4 inch thick, 18" x 24" blocks of foamglass - they have 15 sq/ft bundles for about $80 - would I need any CaSi board if I went with 4" of foamglass?

I saw in your build that you slathered them with homebrew - I'll borrow that idea from you as well!

Comment

You should be golden with 4" of Foamglas only, just need to be gingerly when placing your hearth down. It does damage easily and does not like abrasion. Smell like rotten eggs when you cut it.
            Russell

Comment

Originally posted by MSoucy View Post
              I have seen some beautiful ovens here built with chisels, angle-grinders and the famous "HF Saw", but I haven't found anyone who used a "Bridge Saw"

I have access to this one - the head tilts so I can bevel the cuts, is there any reason I should NOT use it and go purchase a new HF Saw?

What are the drawbacks to using a bridge saw?

TIA,

Mike in Central Florida
              Mike,

Because a bridge saw does not retract you will need to take it slow cutting the bricks, you will be making a full depth cut on each brick and that can be hard on the blade, use plenty of water and take it slow. I agree that making a jig or two to hold the bricks is a great idea for consistency, Once you figure out the angles on a row it will be the same for the entire row.

Chip
              Chip

Comment

Thanks Chip, I'll take it slow with the cuts and had plans to build a jig to make my cuts consistent

Comment

I started with the budget HF saw and migrated to an inherited MK contractor saw during my build. The only time I used either rolling tables is to cut the original firebrick into thirds. The vast majority of cuts were accomplished by rotating the free brick against a stationary blade. I found this the easiest method to achieve a fine, intricate cut, albeit only one side of each brick at a time, and time-consuming.

Comment

Working...
                  X