Ash Slot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ash Slot

Picture of my ash slot and pizza garden. I love my ash slot. It is so easy to just rake ashes out to slot and only clean out from bottom couple times a year.
    I usually have only clear lights but for Christmas a friend gave me the green and red.

Re: Ash Slot

Sorry but I fail to see any advantage for an ash slot, you are scraping the ash to the front of the oven anyway, so why not a little further and be done with it?
    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Brickie,

I guess just not having to deal with a bucket to empty ashes into every time you rake the ashes. Also not having to deal with the ash dust blowing around. I have ash door at bottom and only deal with it once or twice a year.

Each to their own!

Comment

I wrestled the notion of putting in an ash slot...in the end, I chose not to. I dont regret it, however, I can see the advantages/convenience.

Comment

Originally posted by Bama View Post
          Brickie,

I guess just not having to deal with a bucket to empty ashes into every time you rake the ashes. Also not having to deal with the ash dust blowing around. I have ash door at bottom and only deal with it once or twice a year.

Each to their own!
          I think the primary purpose/use of your oven can make a difference in how the "ash slot issue" is viewed. If you're just making pies, then cleaning out ash the next day...no ash slot...works great. I bake mostly breads and appreciate being able to sweep my ash and hot coals into the covered bin beneath the slot and then not have to worry about it until the container fills up. I normally have cleaned up the den area for the group that comes in for the bread/food bake and don't want to deal with spreading ash (and/or coals) around or having a hot bucket to contend with when I'm also trying to get my bread & party preps done.

I certainly see that having a functional oven (and great foodie parties with it) does not depend on presence or absence of an ash slot...for me however, I'm very happy that I put in an ash slot & installed a covered ash bin beneath it. I don't think there is a right or wrong here, it's just as Bama said..."Each to their own!"
          Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
          Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
          Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
          Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
          X