Alternative brick angle cutting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative brick angle cutting

Searching on some Greek forums for building an wood oven i saw this technique that i have never seen before in here, does anyone have build an oven this way?
    Last edited by dimitrisbizakis; 01-07-2013, 04:08 AM.

Re: Alternative brick angle cutting

It is a cantilevered arch, not better, not easier, why?

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
      It is a cantilevered arch, not better, not easier, why?
      less mortar?Less cut's?

Comment

It uses the same amount of mortar, if not more (more mass), and there is still only one cut per brick, just like with a Pompeii.

Comment

I see a few issues with this type of design, the cantilever is not nearly as strong and at what point do you make the transition to 2 or more bricks? See the drawing to show the potential brick sizing issues. the drawing is based on bricks 2.5 inch thick and a 42 inch interior oven.

It appears from the photo that the builder also had a problem with alignment between rings as there appear to be significant ridges between joints. I am not sure if this is a builder skill issue or an additional problem with this type of design.

Chip
          Last edited by mrchipster; 01-07-2013, 09:49 AM.
          Chip

Comment

Originally posted by mrchipster View Post
            I see a few issues with this type of design, the cantilever is not nearly as strong and at what point do you make the transition to 2 or more bricks? See the drawing to show the potential brick sizing issues. the drawing is based on bricks 2.5 inch thick and a 42 inch interior oven.

It appears from the photo that the builder also had a problem with alignment between rings as there appear to be significant ridges between joints. I am not sure if this is a builder skill issue or an additional problem with this type of design.
            Chip

here's a bigger resolution of the image, you'l notice that the bricks goes further in the center of the dome as they go up.
            The last ring is not mortared to place, and the mortar in this case is just clay and sand.
            This is called as an tradinional oven, here in Greece.
            I'm think that you're both right that there is no point of doing the dome with this teqnique.
            Last edited by dimitrisbizakis; 01-08-2013, 08:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X