Redneck oven tools....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Redneck oven tools....

I've seen a number of circulated e-mails with pictures of "redneck" items....

....but I'm a Redneck at heart sometimes....so...

How about your "Redneck Oven Tools" post....(James/FB has some great oven tools.... but now and then you just have to improvise and grab whatever works....)

Here are some of mine....

...for a fire poker I'm using a bougainvillea branch. The spikes allow you to grab wood and move it around!

....I've got an old forged iron rod that was used to secure a large wooden door. I use it to grab and move my terra cotta around. Also provides a back up for the fire poker.

...I'm using 1/2 a wooden clothes pin as a wedge for my door to keep it tight.

...I bought a cotton mop and duct taped it to a pole for swabbing the deck.

....I've used cookie sheets as spare peels for preparing pizzas

...My ash bucket is an old galvanized Corona beer bucket.

.... for my ash rake, I bought a low profile spanish garden hoe at the flea market for $5...does the trick

.....And a blue plastic bucket to cover my chimney when not in use....keeps the rain out

....My last find is a broken oar? that I picked up on the beach of the atlantic. I use it to sweep my fire over across the hearth.

They all do the job in a pinch...

And my new oven gloves....no more red arms!
    sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Re: Redneck oven tools....

XJ,

To complete the collection you need a rusted wringer washer, a Ford F150 minus the front bumper and tailgate, several rolls of chicken wire and at least six non-functioning lawn mowers .

Jim
    "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

I have one nonfunctioning lawn mower. I'm still using the cheap garden hoe I used to mix mortar as my oven rake/fire pusher/pot puller - I'm enjoying watching the handle char (does wood become heat tempered?). It's a little heavy for the job, but I'm more cautious now to avoid scraping the hearth bricks.

Comment

And yet we see a high tech infrared thermometer - what did all the hair on your arm get singed? :-)

Comment

Yeah, even a redneck needs his toys!

Comment

An old rake loses his temper!

Originally posted by maver View Post
            I have one nonfunctioning lawn mower. I'm still using the cheap garden hoe I used to mix mortar as my oven rake/fire pusher/pot puller - I'm enjoying watching the handle char (does wood become heat tempered?).
            <snip>
            (M) Wooden you lose your temper if you became over heated?

Ciao,

Marcel
            "Everything should be made as simple as possible, ...
            but no simpler!" (Albert Einstein)

Comment

I like the old cast iron grill with the legs on it (do I have that right?). Have you been grilling inside your oven. That's a lot of fun.

James
              Pizza Ovens
              Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Round grill with legs....

Actually I took that round grill out of the trash bin down the road. Someone was cleaning out their garage and threw it out!!

I think it was for grilling meats on coals and possibly paella. I'm going to have the legs extended a bit and use it on my open hearth in the summer kitchen.

I've got a square tuscan type grill that fits through the oven door. Same deal, I've got a friend who welds and will put on some legs in exchange for pizza and wine!

XJ

Comment

Have you tried a piece of thin pipe a couple of feet long to clean the floor of ash ? Works perfectly !
                  Also abit of sheet steel poprivetted to a long handled bbq flip from an el cheapo overflow store makes an excellent pizza paddle and if shaped correctly is ideal for cleaning out the ash. We do all return the ash to our compost heaps don't we ? Helps break down acidic leaves,
                  David
                  Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Hi David,

Great first posting. I like the ash and composting idea. Thanks.

I used to use a piece of 1/2 copper pipe left over from a house addition for moving ashes for a long time. It would eventually get hot in your hands.
                    James
                    Pizza Ovens
                    Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

I've been using a shopping kart to sift agregate. I made a fake dry lake bed for a commercial a few months ago, and made it from fireclay and play sand. I kept all the materials obviously, and have been sifting them for masonry use. The shopping kart works a treat..

Comment

I just upgraded my ash bucket for 6 euros at the flea market.

...and found a use for those extra firebrick pieces.

Comment

No, blow through the pipe to move the ash. But be careful you rednecks, blow don't suck. That would be ugly ! The pipe is also really good for getting a stubborn fire going, you can direct a blast of air right where you want it.
                          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

The non-functioning refridgerator on the porch as well!
                            Redneck word of the day used in a sentence! AORTA-"Aorta cut that grass on the softball field else somebody's gonna get hurt."
                            Fairy tales begin "Once upon a time..."...Redneck fairy tales "Y'all are not gonna believe this..."
                            Ciao
                            Dutch

Originally posted by CanuckJim View Post
                            XJ,

To complete the collection you need a rusted wringer washer, a Ford F150 minus the front bumper and tailgate, several rolls of chicken wire and at least six non-functioning lawn mowers .

Jim
                            "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
                            "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

That's the first time I've ever seen a email post about rednecks that closed with "Caio"!!! You sure you're a redneck??

We're a step up from full-blown rednecks!! We don't have non-functioning stuff. We actually use the rear van bench seat that's on the front porch - GRIN

Comment

Working...
                              X