X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need specs on concrete thickness/foundataion

Hi All,

I'm looking to build a Casa 2g oven.

The location of the build will be into a hill in my backyard that is composed of clay soil.

Further complicating this install is the fact that I have a gas line & a 4" drainage line UNDER where I want to build the oven.

My question is how thick does the concrete foundation/footer have to be?

thanks,bob

Re: need specs on concrete thickness/foundataion

In my part of the world, I would need to apply for a permit to lay concrete over an underground gas line.

Comment

Originally posted by bsacco View Post
      Hi All,

I'm looking to build a Casa 2g oven.

The location of the build will be into a hill in my backyard that is composed of clay soil.

Further complicating this install is the fact that I have a gas line & a 4" drainage line UNDER where I want to build the oven.

My question is how thick does the concrete foundation/footer have to be?

thanks,bob
      Is the gas line something you did for a grill or is it municipal? You will have to call before you dig if it is. And you will have to sleeve both lines.

At any rate 6-8" of reinforced slab should do it.
      Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
      John Ruskin

Comment

Originally posted by bsacco View Post

Bob,

Clay can be a big problem if you are exposed to freezing - where in Cal are you at? If you are in a moderate climate you can get away with a few inches of gravel and a 4 inch slab (w/ bar). In regard to going over gas lines, if it is your property ( not an easement), you can do it. I assume they are to code so you will never reach it ( refer to Q1). If a repair is needed, you get to pay for it.
        Check out my pictures here:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Bob,

I work for the gas company here in Utah and if the gas line is the utility's facility, most likely the line will be in a PUE or a public utility easement which may limit your ability to build an oven over the easement. You need to check this out, hate to see you build an oven and then have to move it. If it is your own installed line why not just move it out of the way?
          Russell
          Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

I agree w/the others. You need to give quite a bit more info before anyone can answer those questions. Also, if applicable, local Building Codes/Permits may dictate what you must do, regardless. I suggest you start there.
            My Build:
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/s...ina-20363.html

"Believe that you can and you're halfway there".

Comment

Working...
            X