Soot on outside arch bricks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soot on outside arch bricks

Built too large a fire and before it all got going ended up with black soot on outside arch bricks and surrounding stone.

Is there a preferred way to remove this "stain"

Thanks

Re: Soot on outside arch bricks

Richard,

First try, a mild solution of TSP and a brush. Second try, make it stronger. It should come off if you don't leave it there too long.

Jim
    "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Jim,

What is TSP?

Comment

Richard,

Trisodium Phosphate. It goes under the trade name TSP. You can get it either as a powder or a liquid at hardware stores or Home Cheapo. Suggest you go with the easier to use liquid, read the directions on dilution and go from there.

Jim
        "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

We use gas logs in the indoor fireplace and carbon build up can be a problem there. I use an Anti-Carbon Spray product called Gas Log Cabron and soot Remover by Combustion Improvers Co in Newport HN. (No affiliation with this company).

You simply spray it on while the logs are hot and the carbon is removed without scrubbinbg. It's almost vaporized, not so much washed off. Maybe it would work on the soot from burning real wood, I'll try it when I have an oven to try it on!

Comment

Can a novice suggest that 'brick clean' which is a weak hydrochloric acid solution be used but don't get too much on the mortar as it is attacks it . Brickies use it over here in Aus. I would then spray the bricks once clean and dry with a clear silicon spray, usually available as a dry lubricant from habidashery and auto accessory shops.
            Can I also suggest that if the bricks are absorbent fire bricks, then try a small spot first as this works on fired clay bricks.
            Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
            Neill’s kitchen underway
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

2 cents - With great success, I've used some type of BBQ/fireplace cleaner in an aerosol can. I had it around for cleaning the glass doors on my fireplace.

Comment

While I don't own an oven, I've cleaned similar stains from a fireplace. In order, I'd try:

1) TSP in water as CanuckJim suggests. Try a dilute solution first and make it more concentrated if it doesn't work. Note that phosphates are banned in some places so this may be difficult to find and/or illegal to use.
                2) a weak acid as nissanneill suggests (i.e. diluted hydrochloric/muriatic acid). This is often used to clean or etch bricks; again, start with a dilute solution and make it more concentrated if needed.

Note that you should wear protective gloves, goggles and possibly an appropriate chemical respirator (if you are working in a confined space).
                Last edited by spareRib; 05-03-2007, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X