General purpose refractory caulking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General purpose refractory caulking

What's a good general purpose caulking/sealant/gap filler? I'm sure I'm going to need something soon as I start to finish up the oven. I know I have a small gap between my thermal break and my dome that needs to be filled. I also think I'll probably need something to seal around the chimney adapter where it mates to the arch. I'm sure there will be other things too. Would insul stick be good for small things like this? Or would this tube stuff be better?
    http://n8sbar.servebeer.com/

Oven Thread

Kitchen/Bar Thread

Re: General purpose refractory caulking

anyone? started my first curing fire so it wont be long and ill need to caulk the thermal break and don't wanna order the wrong stuff...
    thanks
    http://n8sbar.servebeer.com/

Oven Thread

Kitchen/Bar Thread

Comment

No such thing as a refractory caulk (meaning a material that remains flexible), you can use glass rope.

Comment

I used a RTV Silicone Adhesive Sealant I got from a wood stove store to use on the rain collar on my chimney. Not sure if that will do what you need.

It says it is good to 500F. Multipurpose. Easy to use. Seals and bonds.

It is distributed by Sand Hill Wholesale & MFG Inc. Columbus Ohio 614.444.0326
        There are probable other suppliers of the RTV sealant.

David

Comment

The temp around the door will see much higher than 500 F. I've tried lots of different products and anything north of 300 C (sorry we do Celsius) go hard and inflexible. The high temp silicon around the flue is just good enough, the temperature being lower there, provided you don't have lots of flame up the flue.
          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
          X