Forno move - Can it be done?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forno move - Can it be done?

I spent 8 months building my forno and when my girlfriend and I decided to buy a house together, I couldn't bare to see it stay behind. So my friends and I figured, we can move this thing.

We successfully dropped the oven to trailer height by jacking one side at a time and removing the cinder blocks until we had two entire levels off. We placed cinder blocks upright under the back corners of the trailer to ensure the front of the trailer didn't lift the vehicle pulling it lol. Once that was done, we backed up a flat bed trailer under the front lip and used a come along and two heavy straps to pull the forno onto the trailer a half inch per crank. Once it was settled on the trailer, we jacked the trailer up a bit and removed the cinder blocks. We did it. Everyone doubted it, but simple physics and calculations enabled us to get this monster off it's base and onto a trailer.

What I'm interested in now, is what the best method will be to rebuild the base and how to drop the slab and forno back on. We are dropping it off at my new property and will leave it on paving stones with a pallet (of sorts) made from 4x4 posts so it can be lifted again.

Any ideas on the best way to build the base of cinder blocks and how to get it back on top? My original base was 5 blocks high, this time around I think I will make it only 4 rows.
    Frenchy

Visit my build blog: http://frenchysgrubblog.blogspot.ca/...ood-fired.html

Re: Forno move - Can it be done?

Is the oven sitting in it's new location or will you need to move it to some other spot?

Said another way does it just need to move up then back down or does it need to move to some other location at the new house, and then be set down on the base?

If it needs to move to a new location, what type of ground doesn't need to move across.

Also, post a photo(s) of current status.
    Last edited by mrchipster; 06-08-2015, 06:59 AM.
    Chip

Comment

That's a good question Chip. I will have to move it from the temporary location to it's permanent home after I get it to the new property. Current status of the forno is that it's on a trailer. I'll post pics after I've dropped it off at the new place this Wednesday.
      Frenchy

Comment

I would be very tempted to place it as close as possible to it's final resting place. Vertical moves are quite easy with heavy loads, horizontal moves are much more difficult. And horizontal moves of heavy loads on soft ground a nightmare.
        Chip

Comment

That's what I wanted to do, however the current home owners were a bit restrictive on where I could leave the forno before I take possession. I'm more concerned about how to build the base because dropping the forno onto the base could be catastrophic if the base isn't perfect.
          Frenchy

Comment

Frenchy,

Dropping is not the word I would use, how about placing...

A couple more questions.

What is the condition of under the slab, such as flat or anything protruding?

You could rent a space for the short period of time it needs to be off the trailer, garages here rent for less than $200 a month at month to month rental spaces, and it might be well worth the money to
            offload the trailer,
            Elevate oven in garage so it is easy to put back on trailer.
            prepare your foundation.
            Move the oven into place with the trailer
            Elevate oven
            Remove trailer
            Precisely level the slab based on oven floor level.
            Build block stand
            Lower oven on to block stand.
            Done

As far as how to prepare block stand for landing the oven you should be able to get precise measurements from bottom of the slab to the block stand and have 6 to 10 pads built into the top of the stand to land the slab on. Put wet sand mix concrete or a good blob of construction adhesive in top of the pads just before lowering to final position and you will be golden.
            Chip

Comment

Frenchy,
              I have been meaning to ask about the Roxul Comfortboard you used for the floor insulation (I am planning on doing the same). Given the "spongy" texture of the Roxul, how has it held up? Has there been any movement of the hearth firebricks? This material is much cheaper than ceramic fiber, so long as it maintains it's depth with the weight of the bricks - thanks
              Ron

Comment

Working...
              X