No announcement yet.

Cracking in undesirable places! Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cracking in undesirable places! Help!

Originally posted by david s View Post
    You can get away with a slab less than 4", provided the oven is small and not too heavy, by cantilevering the slab over supporting piers. This reduces the required span and places the support right under the heaviest parts of the oven.
    If,............ the slab is insulated
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

If you have enough empirical knowledge to engineer it. 2 bars in a couple of sacks of Quickcrete ain't engineering.

Comment

Here is a 2" slab that won't crack. To start only an idiot would monolithically pour an "L" shaped section of thin concrete, it is almost guaranteed to crack at the inside corner. That is why there is no inside corner, it is a radius, distributing the stress over enough area that the tensile strength will withstand it. There is also a section of 4" CMU ladder wire across the expected crack as well as the same on the perimeter and around the cutout for the sink, chocked to 3/4" above the bottom of the pour. This is NOT a suspended slab, however, it was poured on top of a left in place hardibacker form.

There is no rebar in it, at 2" even 3/8" rebar does not allow enough coverage over the bar to be effective, and in effect creates a weak plane and probable crack down the road. The mix design is 5500PSI concrete, with 25% of the mix water replaced with latex additive, and a medium loading of poly fibers. Final flexural strength is probably North of 8000PSI.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
          You can get away with a slab less than 4", provided the oven is small and not too heavy, by cantilevering the slab over supporting piers. This reduces the required span and places the support right under the heaviest parts of the oven.
          As of now the cinder block legs are shaped like a U...would building a third cinder block leg down the center help? Also, is it a bad idea to have my party, a long, hot fire? Would I be better off cancelling the party and only using this oven for personal use (3-4 pizzas, fires only lasting a few hours) or will that not make a difference?

Comment

Originally posted by jgd915 View Post
            As of now the cinder block legs are shaped like a U...would building a third cinder block leg down the center help? Also, is it a bad idea to have my party, a long, hot fire? Would I be better off cancelling the party and only using this oven for personal use (3-4 pizzas, fires only lasting a few hours) or will that not make a difference?
            Yes A third leg might help. I'd be just firing the hell out of the thing after that and see how it goes. Don't even contemplate cancelling the party, even with cracks the oven is not likely to collapse and will not alter its performance.
            Last edited by david s; 06-19-2015, 11:28 PM.
            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
              If you have enough empirical knowledge to engineer it. 2 bars in a couple of sacks of Quickcrete ain't engineering.
              Yes you are correct. Empirical knowledge and engineering allows a thin supporting slab as shown containing additives and fibre reinforcing. Not had any failures. The slab is thicker in the middle where the stresses are and thinner outside where there is little stress on it. Almost all the stress is transferred straight down to the piers that support it.
              I don't subscribe to building a bomb shelter to house an oven if there is an easier way that allows the use of less materials and labour.
              Last edited by david s; 06-19-2015, 11:38 PM.
              Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Thanks for all of your help. Looks like I will need to cancel the party anyway on account of thunderstorms .
                Here's another idea. In addition to a third leg, what about filling up the entire underneath part (where the wood is being stored) with cinder blocks? Creating a cube of cinder block underneath supporting the slab so the slab itself is holding barely any weight. Even if the slab broke, it would have nowhere to go. Am I right? I could then cover the cube of cinder block with a stone veneer just to make it look nicer.

Comment

<shakes head and walks away>

Comment

Working...
                  X