No Weld Indispensable Tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Weld Indispensable Tool

Here is my variation of the Indispensable Tool that was done without any welding. It did take some drilling through the L bracket plate (this is actually a leftover truss slip plate and it uses a fairly hard steel) which was a pain without a drill press.

Short piece of AL bar stock to mount the hinge on.
    2 foot piece of threaded rod (though I really needed 2' 1" but was able to make it work with just the 2' rod)
    Cheap fence gate hinge
    Wing nut to set the length
    Metal octogon/round cover plate for a light fixture junction box (this acts a big washer since my hole in the plywood was slightly too big).
    A roller for a screen door to sit in the floor plywood hole
    4 U-bolts to bind the plate and rod to the hinge
    wide L-bracket
    Much swearing while trying to drill the holes for the u-bolts into the L Bracket hinge.

Re: No Weld Indispensable Tool

Nice job. I think I could hear you swearing all the way over here on the other side of the state.
    My Build:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/s...ina-20363.html

"Believe that you can and you're halfway there".

Comment

A length of plastic conduit also works well. Being flexible allows it to be bent, shortening it for easy removal to the next brick.
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Hello fremen325

Nice.
        The only issue you will have is a small step at the bottom of the bricks.
        To get a nice smooth transition from chain to chain the bracket that supports the brick should meet the rod at the centerline of the brick.

Took me some time mocking up my dome to get it straight in my head.

David

Comment

Just another idea. I used a strut 4 hole l bracket that I cut down and drilled and taped. I did not use a drill press so it can be done with out. Just make sure you have a good hold on the pice with a Chanel-lock. Good luck

Randy

Comment

Here's one I made from a swivel, a piece of wood I had lying around and a galv bracket. Hacksawed the wheel off the swivel and bolted the wood to that and screwed the bracket to the other end. Just make sure the wood is the right length...

Because the bolt connection is slightly offset on the swivel, I offset the connection to the wood. It'll still mean that vertical radius will be about 10mm more than the horizontal one, but I can't see that as a problem.

Took about 30 minutes to make and cost about 5 bucks.

Comment

A lot of great ideas, all which have formed great looking domes !!!

For my IT, I used a set square with a small piece of metal clamped to its edge and two house bricks.

I simply measured the distance from a cross-sectional scetch, clamped on a piece of metal, then layed the brick. Adjustment height was only required once per course.

Micko

Micko

My oven build: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpqakvZMhNw
              My dome gauge/indispensible tool thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ive-20917.html (Dome Gauge - a simple alternative)

Comment

Hey guys,

Sorry if this is a silly question, but I haven't been here in a while and see all this talk of the indispensable tool. When I built my first oven I simply made a styrofoam template, which I removed once the dome was complete. Aside from the ability to clean/mortar the inside as you go, what is the benefit of this tool vs. the form? I'm ready to build a new oven and want to know what improvements have been made these past 10 years!
                -Paul
                overdo it or don't do it at all!

My 2005 pompeii build

Comment

I found the IT very helpful. In addition to placing bricks at the proper orientation and occasionally clamping them in place while the mortar cured, I also mounted a marker and used it to mark my circle on the floor bricks prior to cutting, and to mark my semi-circular arch to get the bricks cut at the proper angles.
                  My build thread
                  https://community.fornobravo.com/for...h-corner-build

Comment

Paul,

Nothing wrong with using a Styrofoam template, but you even admit that you cannot see what is happening in the interior until the form is removed, being able to correct and see the internal alignment, joint size, and cleaning of the internal joints are major plusses for an IT. They are inexpensive to build and some are even no weld designs. The building of the WFOs are constantly evolving and getting better. Why not enjoy some of the new techniques developed over the years, IE tapered arches, heat breaks, ITs, insulated doors, etc.
                    Russell
                    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

I hear ya. Truth be told, I never looked at the inside again once I started using it, but the perfectionist in me WAS bothered by not being able to clean as I went. I used tapered bricks in my arches if that's what you are talking about..

I'll link to my original build thread. I was one of the first on the site building a Pompeii, so there was limited feedback at the time. I'm excited to benefit from everyone else's builds since then, but poring through all of the threads and information is intimidating.... It has been 11 years.

I'll probably start a new build thread when I get going and have lots of questions!
                      -Paul

My 2005 pompeii build

Comment

Paul,

Here is a good link to some of the more documented builds to help ease the search.

http://www.fornobravo.com/community/...n-the-archives
                        Russell
                        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Thanks! I can't figure out how to link to my original build thread on my phone, but it's not really important.

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
                          Paul,

Here is a good link to some of the more documented builds to help ease the search.

http://www.fornobravo.com/community/...n-the-archives
                          -Paul

My 2005 pompeii build

Comment

Paul,

It may be easier to do from a desktop, but copying your build thread to your signature line will keep it handy.
                            Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

That's what I was trying to do but couldn't seem to copy and paste the link on the mobile site. I'll figure it out when I'm at home and stop cluttering up this thread.

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
                              Paul,

It may be easier to do from a desktop, but copying your build thread to your signature line will keep it handy.
                              -Paul

My 2005 pompeii build

Comment

Working...
                              X