infrared laser thermometers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: infrared laser thermometers

I bought one called Maverick at Maverickhousewares.com. Mainly it was a bit cheaper than some others I researched......my budget was screeching when I was considering the thermometer. It sounds comprable to the others mentioned.

Comment

I had started to order one a while back, then didn't & kept looking. I came to find that the spot ratio varies quite a bit & is one of the specs worth checking.

The ratio is the size of the area measured, relative to the distance. The higher the ratio gives you a smaller spot at a given distance or the same spot size as a lower ratio unit but from further away.

I think this would especially useful in a hot oven where you sometimes can't get that close to a certain spot.

Anyway, I have been looking at this one, Mastercool 52225-A. It has a 30:1 spot ratio, 1400F range & has a Type K thermocouple input so you can measure thermocouples that are built into your dome or hearth. There are also hi & lo alarm settings. Less than $100.

Comment

here is a little info on distance to spot

What is the distance to spot ratio?
        D/S Ratio- Distance to Spot ratio refers to a very important feature of your infrared thermometer. This ratio is the size of the area being evaluated by the infrared thermometer as it relates to distance. In other words, the area being measured becomes larger as the distance increases. This has a profound impact on the accuracy or precision of the reading. If the target you are measuring is 6 inches in size, and your infrared thermometer has a D/S ratio of 8:1, than the maximum distance you can reliably measure the temperature of the target is 48 inches. Beyond this distance, not only is the target being measured, but whatever else falls within the "spot" is being measured as well. This means that if a very hot object is the target, and it is in cooler surroundings, than measurements taken beyond the maximum distance will include cooler elements, and lowering the "average" of what is in the "spot".

D/S Ratio X Target Size, or 8:1 X 6 = maximum measure distance of 48 inches.

As the target size decreases, or the distance to the target increases, a larger D/S Ratio becomes necessary. Using the same example above, and changing first the target size, and then the D/S ratio, you can see that this formula helps you decide the correct D/S ratio and therefore the Infrared Thermometer for your needs.

D/S Ratio X Target Size, or 8:1 X 2 = maximum measure distance of 16 inches.

D/S Ratio X Target Size, or 12:1 X 2 = maximum measure distance of 24 inches.

D/S Ratios vary greatly, so carefully compare this feature of IR Thermometers when comparison shopping. This ratio, and temperature range are the two biggest factors to consider when shopping for an Infrared Thermometer!

The HFT brand has a 8:1 spot ratio... not accurate beyond 48 inches. However, from the landing to the back of the oven is only about 48 inches. Since I would assume that you want an average brick temp over a 6 to 8 inch area

target size 8:1 x 8 = maximum measure distance of 64 inches

Bruce
        Sharpei Diem.....Seize the wrinkle dog

Comment

Originally posted by TDVT View Post
          I had started to order one a while back, then didn't & kept looking. I came to find that the spot ratio varies quite a bit & is one of the specs worth checking.

The ratio is the size of the area measured, relative to the distance. The higher the ratio gives you a smaller spot at a given distance or the same spot size as a lower ratio unit but from further away.

I think this would especially useful in a hot oven where you sometimes can't get that close to a certain spot.

Anyway, I have been looking at this one, Mastercool 52225-A. It has a 30:1 spot ratio, 1400F range & has a Type K thermocouple input so you can measure thermocouples that are built into your dome or hearth. There are also hi & lo alarm settings. Less than $100.
          This is the model I have. Works great!

Comment

Thanks Brokencookie for the technical breakdown. Since I plan on using this as a dedicated unit (dedicated to the WFO) from your description it should do the job. I think I would actually be desirable to know the average temperature of a larger area of the interior of the FWO rather than measuring a single spot. Might be a mute point, but it is the oven that doing the baking not a single spot on the oven dome, right? The temp of a spot on a ceiling of a dome where the flames are licking should be hotter than a spot more removed. A buried thermocouple is measuing a spot but that spot is more of a region rather than a single small surface spot and for baking bread and such the books say to close the WFO and let it equalize for a period of time before loading so size of the spot is not as relevant. Yes --No?

Time will tell, once it arrives I'll see if I can get my friend with the 60" oven to do a bake. He has a Woodstone Mt Adams unit and is pleased with the unit save for the amount of wood required to get it to temp. As a consequence he doesn't fire it very often. He bought it at an auction for used restaurant equipment and only paid $175 for the whole unit! He was the only bidder.

Wiley

Comment

Wow! That's like a 10 or 12 thousand dollar oven. Maybe more, huh?
              GJBingham
              -----------------------------------
              Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Yes, I don't know if it was that much as the one he got had the black steel front and didn't have the wood storage deck below. But it was a great deal, I'll be over to his place next week and take some photos. He did a nice job with stone on the front.

BUT, there is one major drawback and that's the size, he's single and isn't into huge parties and so it is a lot of work & wood for pizza for himself or two to get it up to heat.

Wiley

Comment

Working...
                X