Non Laser Thermometers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non Laser Thermometers

OK I don't like the laser thermometers...maybe because I bought a cheapy...

Has anyone seen a thermometer that I can just leave in the oven and it will withstand the heat. That way I can watch the temp in the oven?

Re: Non Laser Thermometers

There are a few options. You can buy this analog gauge (picture 1) here;
    DialTempTM, Bi-Metal Stem Thermometers, 5" Heads

Or you could buy a K-type TC probe and a hand held meter to read it (picture 2 and 3) here;
    Mini Thermometer ? Moderately Priced - Ideal for Education, Training and Demonstration Programs
    and
    Super OMEGACLAD? XL Thermocouple Probes - Miniature Transition Junction Probe

But the big question is where to put the probe. Is your oven finished? If it is, depending on the finish of the outside of your oven, you may only be able to install one in a door. If you don't have one you can build a door, drill a hole and mount the probe thru the hole.

If you are still building you can buy thermocouples and install them while building, as I did.
    Wade Lively

Comment

Sorry no help here, been looking for one myself. have not found one that registers high enough. Although I love my IR, I would still like to have a good 'old fashioned' thermometer. The thought of running lines for thermocouplers didn't appeal to me, those are the only 'thermometers' I have seen.

RT

Comment

Thanks Wade, the Dial Temp may work for me.

RT

Comment

I actually asked James about these in a message earlier today...Earthstone(sorry James) currently has one listed on their website...looks like the probe is long and the dial can be mounted on the front...up to 1000F...
          "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
          "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Yes, that's a traditional thermocouple with an old fashioned analog dial. We have thought of adding a thermocouple to the FB Store and we really should get to it. They aren't difficult to install and some folks like the permanently mounted temp gauge.

It's time for poll.

What do you want for your oven:

No thermcouple?
            1 thermocouple with an analog gauge
            1 thermocouple with a digital gauage
            2 thermocouples with a digital gauge
            More than 2 thermocouples with a digital gauge

Let's see how it comes out.

James
            Pizza Ovens
            Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

James:

I have 8 thermocouples installed in the oven.
              Incredibly piece of information when first using the oven. Steps up the learn curve.
              Nowadays I use just 2 of these: the center hearth thermocouple to read the hearth temperature when baking pizzas and the ambient temperature when waiting the temperature down to bake bread and so.

Luis

Comment

James

I went with 3 thermocouples so I can get a good overall picture of the temp "saturation" of the brick mass and can chart the temp profile of my oven. I still plan on buying a hand held infrared to compare surface temp to thermocouples. I agree with others that this is mainly useful for getting to know the oven, so not something that will be used much after that. But that is my preference. Oh yeah, digital readout.

My day job is diffusion area equipment maint eng for a semiconductor manuf. So we use various thermocouples and devices to measure temp (+/- 0.5 deg) all the way to 1200 deg C. Omega is pretty much the gold standard of temp measurement and I am very surprised that they sell online and how reasonable their prices are. Both items I listed above are less than half of what Earthstone has. James if are looking for a supplier to offer their products I would suggest calling them first.
                Last edited by wlively; 05-25-2007, 08:05 AM. Reason: keyboard challenged
                Wade Lively

Comment

In an oven that is already installed, where would you put the thermocouples?
                  Do they just lay them on the floor or do you attach them to the sides?

Thx

Comment

I put one in the floor, one in the dome about halfway up, and one in the top center of the dome. I built mine per the first rev of plans so my dome sits on the floor. With this configuration it seemed easiest to drill my thermowell directly into the side of the exposed floor brick and it extends about 8 inches into the floor. The other two are positioned a little over halfway into the brick. The floor and mid-dome TC's are about a foor apart in horizontal spacing, since I plan on starting all my fires on the opposite side of the oven and can see the saturated temp in the bricks versus direct heating.

Where to put them on a finished oven would depend on how the oven is finished and what type (analog/digital) you want to use.
                    Wade Lively

Comment

Working...
                    X