X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Saftey Issues

Originally posted by dmun View Post
    BLUE GLOVES are now at the home centers. They are acrylic knit gloves that stay cool and un-sweaty, while the palms and fingers are dipped into blue rubber-like substance! Get them! Use them!
    Yeah, but do they come in any size other than humongous? I have a terrible time finding tools and equipment sized for a female- I'm not even that small, but a lot of tools and even safety equipment just don't fit me well, and an improperly sized tool can cause all kinds of musculoskeletal trouble. Do not ask how I know this...

The only place so far to have gloves which are small enough, protective enough (although for construction, not masonry), and articulated enough (hard to hold a hammer with fingers that won't bend) is the Duluth Trading Company. Until I found them, I had to use gardening gloves, which just aren't made for anything else. I will try to find the blue gloves and see if they fit well enough to use- nothing is more irritating than gloves with fingertips which are baggy and longer than your finger.

When I do tile work, I use a couple of pairs of rubber gloves over top of each other, and the sweat is awful indeed- so if these work for me I'll be a happy camper.
    Elizabeth

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/e...html#post41545

Comment

I think they only have one size at the HD, but you can get more sizes from an industrial supplier. There are lots of them, here's the one I use:

MSC Item Detail
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Wow! Thanks so much- I'll try the ones at the home store on, and if they're too big I'm going to order some smaller ones. Now all I need is a respirator that isn't bigger than my face!
        Elizabeth

Comment

I may have missed it but its also a wise choice not to work alone. Have someone around, you never know what could happen.
          Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste
          like chicken...

My 44" oven in progress...

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	smilies-3731.png
Views:	2
Size:	480 Bytes
ID:	270940

My cabinet making instructor once nailed himself to a workpiece with a nail gun. He wasn't badly hurt (fortunately) but he had to wait for someone to come to free his hand.
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
            [/CENTER]

Comment

I like to remove most of the coals from my oven before cooking to give me more room. I quickly found out that the hot coals stuff up a nice new galv. bucket, so I usually half fill it with water first. A few weeks ago I only 1/4 filled it and got a nasty steam burn on my thumb. Fire is a great teacher !
              Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

If your bucket has a tight fitting non combustible lid, you can smother the fire, and have a mess of charcoal to start your next fire, or to use in your barbeque.

Comment

Thanks,
                  I might try that. I usually throw it into the compost and it eventually finds its way into the garden. The alkalinity of the ash helps balance the acidity of decomposing leaves and charcoal opens the soil and helps retain moisture. Waste not.
                  Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

After cutting a couple of bricks, I'm going to wear earplugs....they're cheap enough!
                    Sharing life's positives and loving the slow food lane

Comment

Liz I just bought my wife a 5 pack of work gloves at Sam's club for about $11. She has very small hands and they look like a nice variety.....

Originally posted by egalecki View Post
                      Yeah, but do they come in any size other than humongous? I have a terrible time finding tools and equipment sized for a female- I'm not even that small, but a lot of tools and even safety equipment just don't fit me well, and an improperly sized tool can cause all kinds of musculoskeletal trouble. Do not ask how I know this...

The only place so far to have gloves which are small enough, protective enough (although for construction, not masonry), and articulated enough (hard to hold a hammer with fingers that won't bend) is the Duluth Trading Company. Until I found them, I had to use gardening gloves, which just aren't made for anything else. I will try to find the blue gloves and see if they fit well enough to use- nothing is more irritating than gloves with fingertips which are baggy and longer than your finger.

When I do tile work, I use a couple of pairs of rubber gloves over top of each other, and the sweat is awful indeed- so if these work for me I'll be a happy camper.
                      Sharing life's positives and loving the slow food lane

Comment

Originally posted by SpringJim View Post
                        Liz I just bought my wife a 5 pack of work gloves at Sam's club for about $11. She has very small hands and they look like a nice variety.....
                        I actually found a new type of gardening glove at Walmart last week. They are a lot like the blue ones Dmun had- rubber coated on the palm and fingers, and knit on the back. They also come in pretty colors with designs on the back! I got two pairs so I could switch to a dry one when they get soggy. They fit pretty well, although if your wife has smaller hands than about a 6 1/2 or a 7, they might be too big.

They work well to pick up the bricks without slipping or wearing off your fingertips.
                        Elizabeth

Comment

Originally posted by egalecki View Post
                          I actually found a new type of gardening glove at Walmart last week. They are a lot like the blue ones Dmun had- rubber coated on the palm and fingers, and knit on the back. They also come in pretty colors with designs on the back! I got two pairs so I could switch to a dry one when they get soggy. They fit pretty well, although if your wife has smaller hands than about a 6 1/2 or a 7, they might be too big.

They work well to pick up the bricks without slipping or wearing off your fingertips.
                          I love gloves now....
                          My thread:
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
                          My costs:
                          http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
                          My pics:
                          http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

ELctricity precautions:
                            -Wear shoes or slippers when plugging or using an electrical gadget/machine
                            -Have your power/electric supply be checked by electrician for at least once a year

Comment

I had a question about firebrick safety... I have heard that firebricks are made with asbestos. Is this still so? If so, wouldn't the dust from cutting be highly dangerous?
                              -jamie

My oven build is finally complete!

Comment

I have heard that firebricks are made with asbestos
                                Not true. Firebricks are mostly silica and alumina. You don't want to breathe the stuff on a regular basis, but it's not nearly as toxic as asbestos. You are unlikely to be able to buy anything new that contains even trace amounts of asbestos.

Still, you don't want to breathe the dust. When you're cutting, particularly cutting dry with an angle grinder or such, wear a proper respirator, not one of those paper dust masks.

Comment

Working...
                                X