X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Saftey Issues

Originally posted by luke22 View Post
    WTH! What spam?
    I just mentioned about the safety measures for industrial equipments.
    It was the link in your sig, which has gone now.

Fiberglass Ladders Online
    And this post.

Originally posted by luke22 View Post
    Hey members.
    I have recently ordered a fiberglass Step Ladder for my personal use.
    Can you recommend me the safety measures to be taken for this type of ladder.
    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by Laurentius View Post
      Thanks for the advice, Polo.
      Your quite welcome, Laurentius.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
        Can't agree, it is the fibres that are the problem and although they are held within the binder, on bending and handling, loose fibres will still become airborne, particularly when cutting the blanket.
        There are many different products out there. Some use a fibre that is partly water soluble and are therefore safer if inhaled. Look carefully at the data sheets on health or toxicology. Some ceramic blanket is "exonerated from carcinogen classification", so should presumably be safer, but also more expensive, others are not and still classified as a class 2 carcinogen. There is no doubt that ceramic blanket is the most superior insulator available.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by james View Post
          The task of installing a brick oven involves working with a number of building material products and we strongly recommend that you take the appropriate safey precautions and avoid contact with them as much as possible, including:

1. Use gloves. You will be mixing concrete and mortar which are caustic and can burn your hands. You will also be handling ceramic insulation and insulating blocks, which can be irritating.

2. Use a breathing mask. You will be cutting concrete blocks, brick, firebrick and/or stone, which put out a great deal of dust. You will also be working with vermiculite, perlite, ceramic insulation and/or block insulation, which you do not want to breath in.

3. Soak your bricks and blocks before you cut them with a wet masonry cutter. They will put out less dust that way.

4. Take care. You will be using a variety of saws and other tools, so please be careful and follow the instructions for everything you use.

If anyone has anything else to add, please feel free to give more advice here.
          James
          Safety glasses and ear protection are a must

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
            Yes, it could be safe, but as cancers often take a long time to develop after exposure to carcinogens we might be in a waiting game. My Dad was a medical officer during one of the Maralinga nuclear tests. He died of cancer, probably as a result of exposure, 24 years after. You should have been given the MSDS on the stuff, here it is if you want to check it out.
            Also, it is not the ingestion that is the problem it is inhalation. It's when it gets into your lungs not your stomach that is the worry.I work in a school and we are not allowed to let children have any contact with it.

FIBERFRAX? CERAMIC FIBER PRODUCTS
            The main issue is from a component of the blanket which the ceramic fibers are made of, mainly silica, which can cause silicosis, a type of restrictive lung condition. Any level of silica exposure can result in silicosis. There are three types of silicosis: acute, accelerated, and chronic.

Acute silicosis forms a few weeks or months after high levels of silica exposure. This condition progresses rapidly.

Accelerated silicosis comes on five to ten years after exposure.

Chronic silicosis occurs ten years or longer after silica exposure. Even low exposure levels can cause chronic silicosis.

Silica dust particles act as tiny blades on the lungs. When silica is inhaled through the nose or mouth, particles create small cuts that can scar the lung tissue. Scarred lungs do not open and close as well, making breathing difficult.
            AT A MINIMUM WEAR AN N95 MASK, BEST IS TO WEAR A RESPIRATOR!!

Jarod Kintz

My Build
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/n...ona-20937.html

Google + Link to my build

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrorrt View Post
              The main issue is from a component of the blanket which the ceramic fibers are made of, mainly silica, which can cause silicosis, a type of restrictive lung condition. Any level of silica exposure can result in silicosis. There are three types of silicosis: acute, accelerated, and chronic.

Acute silicosis forms a few weeks or months after high levels of silica exposure. This condition progresses rapidly.

Accelerated silicosis comes on five to ten years after exposure.

Chronic silicosis occurs ten years or longer after silica exposure. Even low exposure levels can cause chronic silicosis.

Silica dust particles act as tiny blades on the lungs. When silica is inhaled through the nose or mouth, particles create small cuts that can scar the lung tissue. Scarred lungs do not open and close as well, making breathing difficult.
              AT A MINIMUM WEAR AN N95 MASK, BEST IS TO WEAR A RESPIRATOR!!
              Thanks Jeff,
              The new generation of ceramic blanket is bio soluble and has been exonerated as a potential carcinogen and is considered safe. Check the MSDS on the product before purchase to get the good stuff. It is more expensive and the only type allowed for sale in Germany.

Comment

I would like to add from experience the use of gloves or hand cream to prevent skin drying out and cracking. After finishing my Pizza Oven my hands were like bricks and fingers with large cracks in the skin. They are O/K now. Could have been prevented by following the advice to use gloves or cream no matter how tough ones hands are.

Comment

I would have to agree, as the fibres are small and could, by the oven cracking, filter into the cooking dome and in time cause health problems.

Comment

Both ceramic fiber and soluble fiber contain silica, which if heated to elevated temperatures (i believe above 1700 degrees F) form crystalline silica. Crystalline silica is what causes silicosis. You are exposed to crystalline silica every time you cut a hard brick, pour concrete, or even walk on the beach.

There has never been a documented case of disease or death caused by ceramic fiber. Ceramic fiber dissolves in the body after about 7 mos. Bio-soluble fibers are designed dissolve in about 2 weeks. Asbestos never dissolves.

The major manufacturers (Fiberfrax, Kaowool)are very careful in making sure that there are no problems or impurities associated with their products. I am concerned about the imported Chinese blankets and boards. These companies dont follow the safety precautions. There is a reason the blankets sold by these importers cost less! Who actually manufactures the cheap blanket sold by McGills? Where does Forno Bravo get their blanket?

Comment

The problem I encountered was after purchasing the carton containing the ceramic blanket. Upon arriving home I read the instructions on the outside of the carton and it stated clearing their could be health issues in using the blanket. As our family have experienced cancer. I took the C/blanket back and purchased vermiculite instead.

Comment

Hi Bravo,
                        What was the problem with the ceramic blanket that you encountered? A warning label is not a problem. Warming label are sometime required by law or a smart lawyer for companies and individuals to protect themselves. There are multitude forms for cancer and I would bet if you follow the proper precautions you wouldn`t be in any more danger as inhaling dust from the vermiculite and concrete.

Comment

Hey Bravo,

I agree with Laurentius. The disclaimers on everything verge on the ridiculous. It is just arse covering by the manufacturers driven by the litigious society that is smothering us.

Danger lurks everywhere if you care to search for the Materials Data Sheets on everything you use. A pair of disposable overalls, a mask to filter what you are breathing, gloves, eye protection and a bit of common sense in handling this material will leave you as safe as you can be. It is also superior insulation per inch of thickness.

I hope you get it all going and achieve the results from your oven that you set out to get.
                          Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Every product should have an MSDS (materials safety data sheet). It is worth asking for it on purchase or look it up on line. It will tell you which type of ceramic fibre blanket it is.

Comment

You can't be too careful! I actually used this substance as an additive to both my concrete and mortar on my oven build .

I am currently registered with DMHO.org. I get immediate updates and possilble solutions to the remediation of the problem .
                              Last edited by Gulf; 09-05-2014, 05:02 PM.
                              Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Originally posted by jpar View Post
                                Both ceramic fiber and soluble fiber contain silica, which if heated to elevated temperatures (i believe above 1700 degrees F) form crystalline silica. Crystalline silica is what causes silicosis. You are exposed to crystalline silica every time you cut a hard brick, pour concrete, or even walk on the beach.
                                Your blanket will never see temps like this in your WFO.

Comment

Working...
                                X