Vermiculite prices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vermiculite prices

What are people seeing as the price for a 4 cubic foot bag of vermiculite. Here in southern MA I found only one garden center that had one bag and it was $26. The plans are calling for quite a few more bags between hearth and insulation - maybe the SuperIsol is the way to go after all.
    "You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I'm not hungry enough to eat six."

-- Yogi Berra

Forno Tito

Re: Vermiculite prices

I paid $14 for a 4 cubic foot bag from a nursery wholsaler...
    My Oven Thread:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

Joe,
      not that it make any difference to you as I am in Australia, I paid $26 per 100 litre bag (6Kg) and used 6 bags for both the under heart and 3 x 1" layers of insulation over the thermal blanket covering the 40" dome.
      As the forum suggests that you can't over do the insulation and my newly built oven proves this. At full trott, the outer top of the dome is still COLD even after 3 hours of heating/baking pizzas.
      Don't skimp on it as the whole success is dependent on this characteristic!

Neill
      Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
      Neill’s kitchen underway
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

No skimping here - I plan on at least 2" thick of Insulfrax (possibly more on the lateral edges) and filling in the rest with loose vermiculite. I was just hoping that the vermiculite would be a bit easier to find and a bit less pricey.
        "You better cut the pizza in four pieces because I'm not hungry enough to eat six."

-- Yogi Berra

Forno Tito

Comment

Originally posted by JoeT62 View Post
          What are people seeing as the price for a 4 cubic foot bag of vermiculite. Here in southern MA I found only one garden center that had one bag and it was $26. The plans are calling for quite a few more bags between hearth and insulation - maybe the SuperIsol is the way to go after all.
          That's what I paid, more or less, including shipping, from an eBay supplier for Perlite.
          My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

I paid $23 for a 4 cu ft bag from a nursery.

And I paid $10 for a 4 cu ft bag of Harborlight Perlite (thanks Chris). This stuff pours like water and is what I poured on top of the blankets.
            Wade Lively

Comment

Thanks guys - I think I found a lead on a 6 cubic foot bag for about $20 about an hours drive away.

-- Yogi Berra

Forno Tito

Comment

You need to add $.42/mile to the vermiculite, plus your time. What does a surgeon charge these days? :-)

That's some pretty expensive vermiculite.
                James
                Pizza Ovens
                Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

I'll combine my vermiculite purchase with the obligatory in-law visit (they live near there). Actually it gives me a handy excuse to leave early!!

-- Yogi Berra

Forno Tito

Comment

For informational purposes, I was wondering if the vermiculite used in pool construction is generally treated with silicone or not. This might be another source for folks to consider.

Also, I have noticed some sellers grade the vermiculite (coarse, medium, fine, etc.) Given a choice, is there one type that is better for this application than others?

-- Yogi Berra

Forno Tito

Comment

Hi Joe,

A quick response, then more on the types of vermiculite.

Our commercial oven builders put more insulation above the apex of the dome, which is where most of the heat is stored -- than they do on the sides.

Vermiculite as a way of managing family relations. I've never tried that, but it's an excellent idea. Thanks for that.
                      James
                      Pizza Ovens
                      Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Well let's see, vermiculite is used in pools, gardens, home insulation, pizza ovens, aquariums, and now as a way of getting out of hanging with the in-laws.

It truly is a miracle substance.

-- Yogi Berra

Forno Tito

Comment

I just built an oven and as I was searching for vermiculite I went to the place that sold me the firebricks. They did not have vermiculite but, they had a product called pool base that is mixed with concrete to insulate pools. It was only $9 a 4 cubic ft bag (in central Pa) and, it did mix good with the concrete.

Comment

I got perlite which is pretty darn close to vermiculite and it was only 11 bucks at Home Depot. Close enough for me...
                            Renaissance Man
                            Wholly Man

Comment

I found Perlite at the local brick and masonry supply retailer. It is used as insulation in cinder blocks. I paid $7.00 for 4 cf bag.

Comment

Working...
                              X