angled cuts using HF wetsaw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• angled cuts using HF wetsaw

Ordered the HF wetsaw for the next oven build. Last oven was a barrel vault so I am asking how the experienced builders on the forum made the angled side cuts on their bricks to achieve nice tight perpendicular mortar joints in the dome. It seems as though the miter angle is either 22 or 45 and we don't seem to have too many of those cuts throughout the oven dome. I did not have ANY angled miter cuts when I did the barrel vault so any help is appreciated.
    Dutch
    "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
    "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Re: angled cuts using HF wetsaw

Dutch,

I wouldn't call myself experienced, and I'm not sure whether my saw resembles the HF one, but my method for cutting the radial (side to side) tapers is explained at http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/28/t...html#post12106, with pictures showing how I rigged up the saw table to rip through the bricks, course by course.

I'm still wrestling with methods to support bricks at the correct angle of inclination for the upper courses to eliminate the 'triangular' shape on vertical joints. So far I've just put a brick wedge offcut under the outer face to lift it, but it's not ideal as it can move around and accuracy can suffer.

Upper courses also differ from the floor ring as the bricks can not simply be turned upside down as there is a 'top' and 'bottom' orientation, so the guides etc must be transferred to the other side of the saw blade for the second cut on each brick.

Photo below shows results for second course (dry laid). So far so good!

Hope this helps,
    Paul.

Comment

That posting is partly what I am looking for. I am wrestling with the same issue as far as the compound miter on the bricks as their angle increases up the dome. That is specifically what I am hoping for also. Maybe someone will provide both of us with an acceptable answer. Your brickwork looks great in those photos.
      Best
      Dutch
      "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
      "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

I own and used the HF saw...I used the same approach as Paul, simply using wedges to get the angles I wanted. I'm sure is you wanted to, you could make and set jigs to accomplish this......didn't seem to be worth the added time and incovenience to me. I'm pretty comfortable using any power tools, so merely holding each brick on or against the wedges was quite effective.
        Not to mention, very simple.....as you mention - varying angles - which would require multiple/adjustable jig setups.

RT

Comment

I did pretty much the same as mentioned above but also mounted a piece of 3/8 plexiglass on the table of the saw using 2 countersunk screws threaded into the table at the edge of the plexiglass closest to the blade. I oblonged the holes in the plexi to allow the plexi to lift or angle up when the screws were loosened.

This way I could loosen the screws, place a spacer or wedge of sufficient thickness (usually a roll of masking tape) between the edge of the plexi (opposite the blade) and sliding table. Adujst and tighten the screws to snug down on the spacer. Fine adjustments could be made by pushing or pulling the spacer towards or away from the saw and retighten.

As I spaced my plexi table about an inch away from the blade, I sometimes found myself havng to use a plywood spacer to lift the brick high enough to contact the blade before hitting the table.

If I had to do it over - I'd place the plexiglass very close to the blade. but not so close as yoiu could touch it.

I can try and find the parts and take a better photo if you like.

Christo
          Last edited by christo; 08-13-2007, 06:09 AM.
          My oven progress -
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
          sigpic

Comment

I am just beginning my oven having read over the plans 20 or so times, nearly completing the entire project in a 3d modeling program (strictly according to the plans) and now hitting the forums. In the forums it quickly becomes apparent that I haven't paid enough attention to the science of it all. So before I bevel a good chunk of the bricks forming the dome in the 3d model. Is eliminating the odd margins between brick by cutting them at the proper angle a cosmetic exercise (not that there is anything wrong with that) or does it have a material impact on the effectiveness of the oven?

Comment

The advantage to cutting every brick to get a true fit is that you can use the refractory mortar at it's recommended 1/8 inch thickness. I think it gives you a stronger oven. On the other hand, there are people here who have cast their ovens out of refractory concrete, and gotten good results. I think it's mostly pride in accomplishment that drives people toward perfect dome brick fitting, and most people trim the bricks freehand so that they fit cosmetically on the inside, and leave the gaps on the outside. It's all buried in insulation, after all.

The short answer to your question? I think the perfect fit oven is stronger (and more satisfying) I don't think it cooks better.
              My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Working...
              X