Dogloo as a form

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dogloo as a form

So has anyone tried using one of the Igloo style dog houses as a form to build an oven around? To remove the dog house all it would take is a Roto Zip and a vacuum.

My only concern in trying this is the dome height might be to high, the opening could be adjusted easily. Would appreciate in comments, concerns or rude remarks.

Thanks
    JB

Re: Dogloo as a form

~burp~

Sorry, you said rude remarks...

They make them in more than one size, I think. I'm interested in seeing what folks think now myself. The only thing that I'd wonder about is how do you clean the excess mortar when you can't get to it until after it's dry? Sanding would be messy and chiseling is asking for trouble.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
    [/CENTER]

Comment

IMHO it would be alot more trouble to use than it's worth. Maybe, if you just use a small piece of the very top, small enough to retrieve out the opening. But in general there are much easier and cheaper methods; foam slices, rising floor, wood sticks, and no forms at all, ect,ect.
      Wade Lively

Comment

A quick google search (I'd never seen one) showed a lot of them from free to cheap on craigslist. I guess dogs don't like them very much. They are said to be foam: How hard could they be to bust up?
        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Um, pretty hard - structural foam includes PVC.

The things are real popular - which is why so many are left over.

Try under Dogloo.
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

[/CENTER]

Comment

Hi Johan,

Believe or not, but thats exactly what I will be using for the dome. I bought a giant size one (which is huge, but I do alot of entertaining) and will be doing the dome this weekend, since I just picked up all the materials needed. My husband will adjust the opening from its original dimensions to about 20wx13h, which in one of the threads posted James(forno bravo expert) suggest not for the opening to be much bigger cause you lose too much heat. The dogloo is VERY hard foam, so we are hoping to make some cuts in the shape and spraying it with maybe pam(or some olive oil spray)b4 putting on the wire mesh and heat stop 50 so that its easier to pull away. If anyone has any suggestions or criticism, they are welcome. This whole project is new for us so, we will accept any input. I will advise you (if you like) as to what we do from beginning to end of this project.
            Jean

Comment

My (uneducated) suggestion: take just a tiny bit of mortar (like a half cup), mix it and dump it on a section you won't be using. Let it harden and then see if it sticks. Concrete is kinda weird - it sticks like crazy to some things and not at all to others. I'm wondering if structural foam would be porous enough for it to stick to at all.

If it does, then you can simply wrap the thing in plastic sheeting. The sheeting won't stick and even if it gets caught in something you can easily yank it out. Unlike the boards for the hearth form, the igloo would take multiple applications of oil since you won't be managing the build in a single day (not unless you're really, really fast) let alone the short time it would take to do a pour.

[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by demona165 View Post
                James suggests not for the opening to be much bigger cause you lose too much heat. The dogloo is VERY hard foam, so we are hoping to make some cuts in the shape and spraying it with maybe pam(or some olive oil spray)b4 putting on the wire mesh and heat stop 50 so that its easier to pull away.
                Here's an idea. The dogloo is too tall not only in the opening, but in the dome as well. Why not lay it on the oven floor, and lay a circle of 4 x 4 timber chunks around it as your first course. You could then build your dome on the timber support, maybe laying in a few over-long bricks to use as hand-holds near the bottom. When the dome is solidified, you lift it up, bang loose the form and remove it. Then lower the dome onto a layer of refractory mortar on the oven floor.

The FB Artigiano ovens are shipped complete and lifted into place by four people. I don't see you couldn't do that, particularly if if you used real refractory mortar to put it together.
                My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Thanx for the input, I will inform my husband of your ideas (since he will be doing all the manual labor...lol) I know he has ideas of his own rolling around his head, but your ideas might click with his and maybe it will make some applications easier to apply then what he had thought.
                  Jean

Comment

I was thinking about you Dogloo idea, and I may have possibly improved upon the idea.

Why not smear Vaseline all over the house, then several layers of tissue paper.
                    Then, using newspaper and thinned out Elmer's glue, place 5 or 6 layers of paper mache over the top. After drying, the paper house should pop right off (thanks to the Vaseline) and could be used for the form. It would easily burn out on the first firing. And you would still have your Dogloo.

The height could even be adjusted by cutting a dome off of the completed paper mache Dogloo and lowering it or raising it with some more paper mache "band aids"

Just my thoughts.
                    What does everyone think?

Dave
                    My thread:
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
                    My costs:
                    http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
                    My pics:
                    http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

spray cooking oil will do fine
                      for the size why not cutting the base down before starting to lay the bricks?

also to remove it you might want to cut it in sections and use some masking tape to keep it together (or nothing)

but for plenty of fun leave it in place until the oven is ready for firing
                      then fire it with the dogloo in it .. don't forget to take pictures
                      I admit it I did look at one myself and it looks interesting enough to try
                      but then again I think using a sand mold would probably be a better idea or just as good..

Originally posted by asudavew View Post
                      I was thinking about you Dogloo idea, and I may have possibly improved upon the idea.

Why not smear Vaseline all over the house, then several layers of tissue paper.
                      Then, using newspaper and thinned out Elmer's glue, place 5 or 6 layers of paper mache over the top. After drying, the paper house should pop right off (thanks to the Vaseline) and could be used for the form. It would easily burn out on the first firing. And you would still have your Dogloo.

The height could even be adjusted by cutting a dome off of the completed paper mache Dogloo and lowering it or raising it with some more paper mache "band aids"

Just my thoughts.
                      What does everyone think?

Dave

Comment

Spray or rub some cheap veg oil on the dogloo. Pour the castable over, if you are worried about contaminating the mix lay same thin plastic film like saran wrap or similar material the oil will keep the plastic on the dogloo.

Comment

Ordinary motor oil applied with a brush is quite adequate and cheap.
                          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

how about using two... a smaller one insde a bigger one, You could pour your refractory cement into holes cut into the bigger one,, when you done, lift off the "greased" outside shell and pull out the pre-cut inner one ??
                            Last edited by ThisOldGarageNJ; 08-16-2010, 05:54 PM.

Comment

If you have a dogloo that just needs a good home, I can take it! No need to destroy the poor thing in a senseless attempt at recycling - my dogs will be happy to give it a good home (and probably a few other things but such is the life of a doghouse... ).

Especially since if he hasn't built the oven by now he's probably saving up for bricks.

I can also take any used cat furniture (that's still in more or less one piece) - have staple gun, will travel!

[/CENTER]

Comment

Working...
                              X