firebrick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• firebrick

For you users and potential oven builders in central Texas. I have been looking for a source of fire bricks and have been quoted prices from $2.50 t0 $3.50 each. Which makes a pretty expensive oven.

I got lucky and found the Elgin Butler Brick Co. in Elgin, Tx a few miles east of Austin Tx in Butler, Tx. Brick cost $ .75 each. Dry fireclay in 70 lb bags $12.50 each. Hope this helps some of you out.

Re: firebrick

There's also Town and Country Brick in Cypress, TX (a Houston suburb). Firebricks there are 97 cents each. And if you need a local supply of ceramic blanket or insulating board, there's Able Refractory Supply in Houston. I just got a box (24 square feet) of board today.
    Oven Progress
    Bread Photos
    Oven Stand Thread

Comment

Thanks for the info. I think that I am going to go with a 3-4 in vermiculite portland cement cladding over the oven and enclose with a wood siding and roof
      with a fill of vermiculite. Have plenty of vermiculite that was given to me. How far along are you with your with your oven? I am going to have to wait until I'm finished with my house addition to start on mine. Might get down to check yours
      out if okay with you.

Comment

No problem at all. Not too far along yet. Just finished the stand last week, and I should start cutting bricks this weekend.
        Oven Progress
        Bread Photos
        Oven Stand Thread

Comment

Re: pizza oven

Do you have the hearth completed???

Comment

Pretty much except for the brick facade. You can see pictures here in this thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/b...tion-2282.html
            Oven Progress
            Bread Photos
            Oven Stand Thread

Comment

It's looking good. At least I don't have to worry about codes here. Am in the country and lots of space for me to build. I am planning on a grill and smoker as well as an oven. We are big time bar-b-qers here.

Am really wanting an oven for bread baking primarily with pizza second. I am thinking that the shorter firing time for the pizza oven rather than a bread oven would be better. I only plan on 3-4 loaves of bread in one baking so the pizza oven is better for this reason.

Am a home brewer as well a bread baker. EAT, DRINK AND BE MERRY!!!

Comment

Hello people!!!!!... My name is Daniel and I live in Houston Tx.
                I am trying to find a place where they sell firebricks to build a fireplace in my backyard.
                I have been looking for all sides but only with it construction bricks.
                If you or somebady known someone about a shop in Houston, please e-mail me to:

danielgcruces@hotmail.com

I want to apologize, because my English is not really good, but I am from Argentina and I barely got a couple of years living in USA.
                Thank you!!!

Comment

Hey Sourdough, how long you been brewin'? I've been doin' it a few years now. We can make our own good time-along with what it takes to get it done too!

Comment

I'm gonna hijack this thread a bit - SORRY
                    reef, sour, I've always been intrigue by home brewers. I know I will never match the beer of my neighbors friend who owns a microbrewery, nor can I ever get more than 5 minutes with the guy to discuss. How about a good lead on where to go as a novice - someone who loves beer and would like to give home brewing a shot. What resources do you guys use?

RT

Comment

Check out beeradvocate.com- all the info you could ever need or use. Look under groups and find homebrewing, lots of good info and people(kinda like this place ). Also google and see if you have any local shops near you. Usually very friendly folks that love to share knowlege. Support locals if possible, there don't seem to be a lot around and being able to talk face to face is priceless. Best of luck!
                      Last edited by reefman; 06-09-2008, 11:26 PM.

Comment

Hello people!!!!!... My name is Daniel and I live in Houston Tx.
                        I am trying to find a place where they sell firebricks to build a fireplace in my backyard.
                        I have been looking for all sides but only with it construction bricks.
                        Hi, Daniel, welcome.

You want a brickyard or masonry supply, rather than a home center or lumberyard. Houston is a big city and there must be a lot of them. I did a google maps search for masonry supplies, and there were multiple choices.

Perhaps some of our Texas members will jump in here with specific recommendations.
                        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Note the second post is from Houston area...bricks at 97 cents
                          Sharing life's positives and loving the slow food lane

Comment

Thanks for the welcome boys!!!!
                            This evening, I already found the firebricks. I paid 1 dollar (each) in Headwaters const. materials in Houston.
                            Another question: what kind of cement do I need use for those firebricks ??
                            There, did they say to me that it is possible to use portland cement, Is this truth???

Comment

Sorry I just noticed this thread. I got my bricks from Town and Country bricks in Tomball and from American Brick and Stone in Magnolia. I would not use portland cement, even for a fireplace. You're probably better off making your own refractory mortar, or ordering it from FB or your local refractory supply.
                              Oven Progress
                              Bread Photos
                              Oven Stand Thread

Comment

Working...
                              X