Harbor Freight Tile Saw Stand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harbor Freight Tile Saw Stand

I finally got around to breaking the seals on my new Harbor Freight saw (model 95385). Assembly was a breeze (if you don't try to follow the Chinese translated to English instructions).

After assembly I realized due to the weight of the saw that I was going to need a stand with wheels. HF sells one for around $50-60US. I have a bunch of scrap 2x4's laying around so my son and I built our own stand. I found 4 casters at Home Depot for $5 each; two swiveling casters with locks and two non-swiveling ones.

After screwing the saw to the new stand, I tried it out on some standard brick using a Bosch 10" diamond masonry blade ($70 - ouch!). I am totally impressed with this thing and can't wait to stick some firebrick under the blade.

Special thanks to whoever recommended hanging a bucket of water behind the saw for the submersible pump. That worked really well and supplied fresh, clean water to the blade.

Ken
    Ken H. - Kentucky
    42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
    Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Re: Harbor Freight Tile Saw Stand

That's as clean as it's ever going to be.

Firebrick is even easier to cut than common brick. That blade will plow right through. You won't regret buying the good blade, it will last MUCH longer. The HF blades have what looks like a sintered edge to the blade, but the diamonds aren't much below the surface.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Originally posted by dmun View Post
      That's as clean as it's ever going to be.
      That's after cutting 3 common bricks in half for the trim on my stand. A little attention with the hose and it cleaned right up!

Ken
      Ken H. - Kentucky
      42" Pompeii

Comment

Everyone's coming up with novel uses for their scrap wood while mine is taking up space in my garage. Wheels on your stand are VERY useful seeing as how I have to carry my saw from its " stand " to the garage when I think its about to rain. Not too fun seeing as how the thing weighs about 150 lbs. I may just cover it with a plastic bag from now on.
        Oven Progress
        Bread Photos
        Oven Stand Thread

Comment

Originally posted by rlf5 View Post
          Not too fun seeing as how the thing weighs about 150 lbs. I may just cover it with a plastic bag from now on.
          I wonder if you could put some wheels on those concrete blocks?

The only thing I would change about my stand would be to use larger casters. I went with 2.5" wheels, should have bought the 3" or 4". It would roll better on our exposed aggregate driveway.

Ken
          Ken H. - Kentucky
          42" Pompeii

Comment

Ooohhhhh!!!!! Purdy!!! :smile:

I love the stand but I'd have gone ahead and used wheels. Casters are great but only on solid, hard surfaces (carpet and casters do not mix - which is only a good thing if you want it to stay still). I couldn't see in the pic - are they locking casters?
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
            [/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by Archena View Post
              I love the stand but I'd have gone ahead and used wheels. Casters are great but only on solid, hard surfaces (carpet and casters do not mix - which is only a good thing if you want it to stay still). I couldn't see in the pic - are they locking casters?
              The front ones swivel and lock. I don't plan on going through the grass, just the driveway, so the casters work ok for me. If I played with a wet saw on carpeting, my wife would kill me

Ken
              Ken H. - Kentucky
              42" Pompeii

Comment

LOL!

Cool! My needs will be different - it's unlikely I'll have a driveway of any kind so casters would be a royal pain. The only pads I'm likely to have poured will be under the tool shed (I ain't lugging no 150 lb saw up no steps into no trailer!) and under the outdoor kitchen (if I go that far - otherwise it's just gonna be footings for the oven stand. I'm cheap). But I'm going to keep your stand in mind for when the time comes.
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
                [/CENTER]

Comment

Working...
                X