template for floor brick & brick jig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• template for floor brick & brick jig

This is a jig I made up today for leaning my fire bricks up to. Should give me 36" internal dome and a 19" internal ceiling height. The sheet of door skin is now cut to a 45" diameter so I can lay out the floor bricks and mark out and then cut the bricks outer edges to the 45" diameter circle. Then I will cut this door skin to 36" diameter (with allowance for vent etc) and lay it on top of floor bricks so it can protect the floor and also hold my center pivot to rotate the arm (in picture attached) that I will use for setting the bricks to the igloo shape for the tuscan dimensions suggested in Forno Bravo plans. I plan to cut the door shin with sheet metal shears as it is only 1/8th thick so I can slide it all out of inside of dome after dome brick done. Also of note there is a spacer under the hinge that the arm pivots on so it will give me the 19" height. If no spacer was used the 18" radius would only give me the 18" height so put in a spacer to give the right ceiling height....Wayne Bergman Garden Bay BC Canada

Photo album progress can be seen at
    Picasa Web Albums - wayne - Wayne's Pizza...
    Last edited by waynebergman; 09-17-2007, 09:20 PM. Reason: new site for hosting my oven progress
    see below for my oven album of progress to date

http://picasaweb.google.com/wayneber...PizzaOvenWorld

Re: Dome Gauge

I like the dome gauge - wish I'd thought of a hinge - very neat, simple and cheaper than a Manfrotto Ball Head!

How have you fastened the swivel arrangement to the door skin? I used a T-nut to fix the ball head, and it got quite loose in a couple of brick courses, so I had to refix it to the base using some "liquid nails". That point really takes a hammering as the gauge gets knocked around - often accidentally. You may want to consider a thin metal plate on the underside of the skin with a bolt through it, so it doesn't simply pop out in time, or if it does, you could always glue a spacer with a bigger diameter to the skin. Just a thought.

Cheers, Paul.

Comment

Re: template for floor brick & brick jig

Clever! Strong enough to lean a brick against, but easily swung out of the way. Are you going to burn out the plywood when you're done?
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Working...
      X