• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rastys
    replied
    Re: Hendo's dome gauge -- nice idea

phipham
    James is having problems with the programme that has apparently selectively taken people off the list to view images.
    That said, his guage was a rotating ball joint that you find on some cheaper photographic tripod and mounted on a board in the centre of his hearth, A length of wood was screwed to it and another block located at the oven radius (I think from memory his was a 38" oven so the block was located to place all bricks 19") which located every brick exactly that precise radius from the oven base centre.

Rastys

Leave a comment:

• phipham
    replied

anyone can tell me why I cannot see the pictures of Hendo's dome gauge ?

Leave a comment:

• nissanneill
    replied

Hey James,
    whilst out at Hendo's the other day, I saw his guage gathering dust just leaning up against the wall where his sink is to be placed.
    I'm sure that Margaret (Hendo's wife), would give it to the forum if we have a museum for special items.
    I could sent it to you if needed!

Neill

Leave a comment:

• Kosmo's Q
    replied

Does the board also set the pitch of the brick? Or do you need to adjust it on every chain?

Leave a comment:

• maburton
    replied
    Re: I Did It My Way! ? Hendo?s Dome Gauge

I did a search on "in line ball joint" on this web site and got 500 products. can you specify exactly what product would be best to purchase? part number, thanks

Leave a comment:

• dvonk
    replied

OH MY GOD
    It's so sad.
    I didn't reach the end (in all meanings as it now is) of his post.
    It's so sad.....

Leave a comment:

• Frances
    replied

Dimity,

Sadly Hendo died not long ago. Here, I'll add the link....

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f30/...very-3568.html

About the top of the dome, I guess it depends how sticky your mortar is and/or how skilled you are at brick laying... My mortar was very sticky, so I was able to finish without any support from below. Others have used all kinds of supports. But you still have to climb in side the oven too clean up the inside when you're finished, so it doesn't make much difference to the finished dome either way.

Leave a comment:

• dvonk
    replied

Hi Hendo!
    How did you managed to set up last chains of bricks - with or without support form? I think its a pity to have switch at the very end of the project from that nice exact measured clean looking style to something else (which, I guess, using the form should force to do).

Regards,
    Dimity

Leave a comment:

• Frances
    replied

I know my oven wouldn't have been the same without Hendo's gauge...

May it help many future WFO builders.

Leave a comment:

• Dutchoven
    replied

Definitely worth bringing back...both the idea and the individual...
    All the best all ways
    Dutch

Leave a comment:

• Xabia Jim
    replied

I resurfaced this as a bit of a tribute.....Adios amigo.....via con dios.

Leave a comment:

• givearats
    replied

Very nice...

Leave a comment:

• jeff
    replied

James,
    From my perspective as an Old Fart, this site certainly appears different from the one I know and love;viz. ExplorOz. (A touring/4wd forum for Australia, in which I have no financial interest,apart from being a dysfunctional member).
    Mate, thanks in large part to you and your people, the 'soldiers' are set. Alas, Russell Jeavon's book , whilst inspirational, appears shy in the area of the brick gauge.
    Never mind, all good,...and thanks Mate: Bloody inspirational.
    Yours in awe.
    faithfull,old serf's Dog.
    Jess.

Leave a comment:

• james
    replied

This is a very good thread that has received good reviews, and Paul thought it would be a good idea to move it to Tools, Tips and Techiques. I've made it a sticky thread, so it will be read frequently.

Here it is. Thanks Paul.
    James

Leave a comment:

• nissanneill
    replied
    Re: I Did It My Way! ? Hendo?s Dome Gauge

Yeh,
    good one Paul. You should have made your job a little easier by referring to that idea in Russell Jeavons book for positioning the dome bricks, but his cost much less sleep than yours by using a pin (rather than a tripod ball joint), and a folded right angles piece of metal on a rod.
    Good to see you underway again.

Neill

Leave a comment:

Working...
X