thermocouples... same o same o

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: thermocouples... same o same o

Just wanted to share something from my wish list. Once I manage to get more reliable readings, and figure out exactly where my thermocouples are in the oven, it would be awesome to use this to graph the oven heat through the firings and bakings. It looks like this one is just discontinued, but will be replaced with something else. Anyone ever used anything like it?

Comment

Mypsi,
      I suspect you're like me mate: "A need to know" syndrome.
      Mate, I built in three ports to monitor heat transfer.
      Flamin waste of time, tru. Three months later, it's still a furnace. (Hahaha; I wish.)
      Get yerself a reliable IR thermometer, and Bob's yer Uncle, Mypsi. After that, it's all too easy.
      teach.

Comment

Mypsi:

There are eight thermocouples installed in my WFO.
        The adquired data give me great information about the WFO behavior and this experience is one of the facts that help me to improve my pizza habilities each day.
        Nowadays, I only use the hearth and dome readings and do not work with graphic results anymore. On the first fires, the excel sheet as below was a 'hand on wheel' to understand what was happened.

Luis

Comment

There's a lot of valuable information in that chart. I've looked at it before. I can't read the times and temps on the X and Y axes. I can fake my way through the Espanol, but not without good visualization of the numbers.

Got anything more legible? Thanks. I'd love to see it.
          George

Originally posted by arevalo53anos View Post
          Mypsi:

There are eight thermocouples installed in my WFO.
          The adquired data give me great information about the WFO behavior and this experience is one of the facts that help me to improve my pizza habilities each day.
          Nowadays, I only use the hearth and dome readings and do not work with graphic results anymore. On the first fires, the excel sheet as below was a 'hand on wheel' to understand what was happened.

Luis
          GJBingham
          -----------------------------------
          Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

I will stick with my IR, has not let me down yet. When it comes to cooking, getting real technical takes the fun out of it for me. The very reason I don't bake (breads, pastrys, and such) - too many precise measurements, formulas, and variables; I leave that to the experts who enjoy doing it.

RT

Comment

Oh I don't know... my bread recipes are usually pretty slapdash. As long as you're not baking bread for commercial purposes, you can keep it pretty flexible...
              "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Gjbingham:

That spreadsheet was inserted there just to help Mypsi to figure what he could do with the four channels thermocouple unit that he was asking for.
                Better examples and description of oven thermocouples position were written down long time ago in this forum. I am almost sure that I had translated some of these spreadsheets to English language and ?F too. As the forum do not permit to download excel charts, these were converted to little archives of .jpg extension, with poor quality of image. Just search my old posts.
                May be on the next weekend I will search by a better archive to post here.

Luis

Comment

Arevalo,
                  Don't bother. If you posted them, I will find them. I find it interesting to see how fast other ovens cool off after firing. While I may have seen this image before, I'm betting I can find the original. Don't worry about the spanish. I can handle that well enough.
                  GJBingham
                  -----------------------------------
                  Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

I mounted my thermocouple about 1/2 wayup the dome. It slides into a piece of stainless steel tube (a loose fit) which is mortared in. My read out is an ancient anologue one from an old pottery kiln. It is actually better than a modern digital that is prone to electronic failures and battery problems. I think these instruments are unnecessary. I do a lot of running (50 Km/wk) and got keen with a heart rate monitor a few years back. Knowing your body is a bit like knowing your oven. You just KNOW when it's hot enough. Like you know when your heart rate is at max. I think I like the ancient method of sticking your fist in the oven better.
                    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
                    X