It's a sad day in Daveland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: It's a sad day in Daveland

Wow! How did I miss this thread? I saw references to your fallen brick elsewhere, but tonight, I stumble upon this. I'd be really freakin' 'cause I've got stucco on mine now.

I say it's an act of God. Who knows why one arch stands and the other fails. As you know, I have no idea of structural engineering prinicples nor masonry techniques. As far as I've seen, you've yet to start to finish your oven (or am I wrong).

If the brick was external to the dome (hopefully) and can be replace easily with some custom cutting, if I were you, I'd do that. Heck, I'll even do it for you if you send me a template of what you want (I can't remember if you have a tile saw or not). It might not be perfect, but it should be close. Even if you rebuild the arch, it's not a huge deal, just another minor inconvenience.
    GJBingham
    -----------------------------------
    Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

I really think it was caused by my slab settling. A crack runs from hearth, through the back of the oven, over the top, and into the arch....
      My fault, I should of poured a new slab with footings.. etc.

I did put it back in place and jammed a shim next to it.
      I'm gonna get after it soon.
      I just can't decide if I want to fix it with heat stop and a new brick, or take apart the entry and do it all over again.

Thanks for the offer to cut one for me... I might take you up on that one!

At least it cooks well.
      Unbelievable how much heat these things can retain!
      How are things going for you?

Dave
      My thread:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
      My costs:
      http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
      My pics:
      http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

Good Dave,
        Thanks for asking. My base coat of stucco is complete. I'm waiting on Lowes for the special order of stucco finish coat.

I was planning a bread bake for yesterday but got big winds and rain, so I postponed a day, waiting for better weather.

Good plan, bad result. We got just under an inch of snow last night and the roads are a sheet of ice. The public schools are closed, the kids home, and wife heading off to college for the whole day. This is shaping up like my last attempt to time the bread proofing with the oven being perfect, and dealing with screaming/fighting kids and a baby that is crawling all over the house.....

Sorry to hear about the crack in your hearth. Is it something you need to shore up from below?

G.
        GJBingham
        -----------------------------------
        Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Originally posted by asudavew View Post
          I just can't decide if I want to fix it with heat stop and a new brick, or take apart the entry and do it all over again.
          I can't help but laugh that you and I are in exactly the same predicament.

I've been sort of putting things off until I decide whether to repair or rebuild the arch/vent. Either way, warmer weather would be nice.

Too bad we can't get together and drink some serious beer to help us decide what to do!
          Ken H. - Kentucky
          42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
          Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Bit rugged Dave. At least yuo've got speshelists (Archena) on hand to guide you through.
            You were the first bloke on forum to help me out - hope repairs go well.
            Luddite Jeff.

Comment

Working...
            X