Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need tools for a new oven

Hi,
    I just fired up my bread oven for the first time last weekend, I am looking for some pizza tools and was wondering what type or brand most of you use.

I made a scraper out of stainless sheet metal but the wooden handle turned in to charcoal rather quickly while I was using it to move coals around. My wooden peel did not work very well for getting under the pizza. I guess the best thing to get would be a brush, peel and small peel to flip the pizza around?

I have seen the inferred thermometers on this site but can't find much about them. Do you sues them a lot? Is there a preferred company that sells them?

Are there any other useful tools I am missing?

Thanks,

Loren

Re: Need tools for a new oven

Loren,

I use wooden peels I made myself exclusively for bread, especially after setting one of my wooden ones alight while making pizza . There are many suppliers of metal pizza implements, but I would be remiss if I didn't say that the tools offered on the main Forno Bravo site are probably the best available anywhere. You'll need a rectangular peel, a round peel, a brush, a rake and a shovel.

Unless you installed thermocouples to give floor, etc., temps, I'd strongly suggest getting an infrared gun. Many, many members here use them, and the good ones are quite accurate. Just be sure to get one that reads at least to 1000 F. Don't want to appear to be pushing FB, but have a look at the gun offered on the main site.

Jim
    Last edited by CanuckJim; 12-14-2007, 03:22 PM. Reason: incomplete
    "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Originally posted by Loren View Post
      I made a scraper out of stainless sheet metal but the wooden handle turned in to charcoal rather quickly while I was using it to move coals around.
      You can try soaking it in water for awhile before using it in your oven.

My wooden peel did not work very well for getting under the pizza. I guess the best thing to get would be a brush, peel and small peel to flip the pizza around?
      You are dead on here!

I have seen the inferred thermometers on this site but can't find much about them. Do you sues them a lot? Is there a preferred company that sells them?
      Everyone seems to love the one that James sells on this site. It also has a hookup for a thermocouple. I think most people use them a lot in the beginning, but after they get to know their oven I don't think they use them as much.

Are there any other useful tools I am missing?
      I use my hoe constantly. It's great for moving wood around. But remember to soak it first. My first handle burnt clean through. And a flat shovel is handy for cleaning out ashes.

I hope this helps.

Dave
      My thread:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
      My costs:
      http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
      My pics:
      http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

Jim and Dave,
        I will look at the meter on this site, I have not had much time to do any shopping because there is too much good information to sift through here. I have 6 thermocouples in the oven, 3 in the hearth at an inch below surface, one at the end of the brick, and one at the end of the cladding. Ditto on the first brick of the arch walls. Center line of coarse. When I made my first pizza It was at 400, 250 and 100. Something like that if I recall correctly. I figured the surface was around 650 because the soot was burning off. So I thought it may be nice to have one for surface temp, but we will see how it goes. Tools are a must. Maybe I need to sand my wooden peel? I just couldn't get under the pizza and pushed it in to the coals. My wife left the black crunchy bits for my enjoyment... HA HA HA. I have never had a problem with the peel in my kitchen oven.

Never thought of soaking the handle... Duh. I have done many plumbing solder joints in tight placed and have always wet down wood that is close by. I should have though of that

Off to study some more...

Loren

Comment

Loren,
          If you can afford it, spring for the FB tool kit. I use the rake, brush, and shovel at every firing. The small pizza turning peel is an absolute must as well. It is the perfect size for turning and removing pizza in my 36" Pompeii oven.
          Another good tool is a set of log tongs - extra long, if possible. I found mine (28" long) on ebay. I think I paid about $12 plus shipping. Mine are supposed to be antique USA made (appear to be - a little rust and forged iron); but watch out for the new ones coming out of China - the cheap stamped steel scissor type. They bend from the heat and weight of the logs.

RT

Comment

"My wooden peel did not work very well for getting under the pizza."

I just use the wooden peel for making the pizza on and placing into the oven.

For moving it around inside and removing it, I use the metal peel. You can get a set of metal peels and copper brush from the Forno Bravo site.

I use an ordinary garden hoe for removing ashses and I also made a nice ash/wood andlening tool out of one of those "weed chopper" type of tools.

Comment

Anyone know of a good source in Toronto to get the oven tools (peel, brush, rake, etc)?

Thx
              Check out my build at:
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...uild-4678.html

Comment

Bouncing what a few folks have already said you might want to try this guys web site

The Awesome Pizza Peel Site (APPS)

Since you are in Toronto and a stones throw from CanuckJim maybe you can convince him to make a few peels for you. After all his business does need to expand! What you will save in import taxes and shipping you will pay for in handcrafted quality.

je
                Last edited by jengineer; 09-05-2008, 11:16 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Working...
                X