Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have lots of sauce to freeze? Then here's a tip...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have lots of sauce to freeze? Then here's a tip...

I have been doing this for the past month and it works great for my sauce batches. I usually make a 21oz batch at a time. For my pizzas, I found that three spoonfulls of sauce did the trick. So, with that in mind, I wondered how I could create portions of sauce that I could simply pull from the freezer and thaw.

Easy...

I use a flexible silicone muffin tray and ladle in three spoonfulls of sauce into each cup. I then freeze it overnight and pop out the sauce cones the next day. I then toss them into a freezer bag. (I could get anal and use my vacuum packer, but I go through them too fast for that.) Don't try this with a non-stick pan. They don't work... even if you spray it first. The silicone trays are awesome... just push up from the bottom and the sauce cones slip right out. The photo below shows one cone that popped out of the bottom corner cavity.

Works for me.
    Last edited by Momo; 01-28-2008, 10:11 PM.

Re: Have lots of sauce to freeze? Then here's a tip...

those muffin pans are something, just wondering what your recipe for the sauce is?
    RCLake

"It's time to go Vertical"
    Oven Thread

Comment

Originally posted by RCLake View Post
      those muffin pans are something, just wondering what your recipe for the sauce is?
      sounds fair

i would like the recipe too!
      My thread:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
      My costs:
      http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
      My pics:
      http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

Momo,

Cool idea!

Comment

Ah yes, the secret sauce recipe. I have tried the San Marzano tomato recipe. I have tried the, "just some tomato, pepper, and salt" recipe. I don't know. Maybe it's just me, but those tomatoes and plain recipes are just too bland for me. I need some kick and punch... and so here it is. Try it and let me know if you like it.

Pizza Sauce

1 ea 15 oz. can Hunt's tomato sauce
          1 ea 6 oz can Hunt's tomato paste
          3/4 tsp salt
          2 tsp sugar
          2 tsp black pepper (I use fine ground Malabar black pepper from Costco)
          1/4 tsp crushed red pepper (optional kick)
          1/2 tsp granulated garlic
          1 tsp basil
          1/2 tsp oregano
          1/2 tsp crushed fennel

This sauce is not cooked. Just be sure to crush your basil and oregano a bit in the palm of your hand to release the flavors. Also, be sure and let it sit overnight to let the flavors develop.

If I have left over sauce from my frozen sauce cone, I will keep it in a small dipping dish and dip my crust in it. No sauce goes to waste.

Enjoy...

Comment

I resist putting my tomatoes in the fridge, 'cause it is detrimental to their taste (at least that's what I've heard/read many times). I freeze my excess tomatoes from summer harvest, but only use them for pasta sauces once I thaw them.

I like your idea about simplifiying the portions. I'd just hate to take good/great tomatoes and ruin them by putting them in the freezer. Maybe the leftovers. (?)
            GJBingham
            -----------------------------------
            Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Working...
            X