I have an axe to grind...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have an axe to grind...

Having used a non-descript block splitter axe that kept bouncing off at an angle, I was instantly enamoured by the looks and feel of a Fiskars model - so I bought it on the spot ($A102 at Bunnings for youse Aussies). And while I was at it, I shelled out another $A78 for a Fiskars Pro wood-chopping axe.

Needless to say, I tried them on some old seasoned timber rounds the moment I got home - and it's a pure joy to use either! I heartily recommend these two products to anyone who might have a need to split blocks and chop firewood...

(I figured that since I don't need to buy any timber, I might as well have the best tools for dealing with the stuff I've cut down with my trusty old Stihl 042 Electronic many many years ago. And the Fiskars are beautifully light as well with their space-age plastic handles, an added bonus for this old codger...)

If anyone is interested, I can supply the model numbers for the ones I got, or go to Fiskars Welcomes You to browse through their catalogue.

Cheers,

LMH
    "I started out with nothing, and I've still got most of it"

Re: I have an axe to grind...

PS: Fiskars want you to use a special tool to sharpen their axes - couldn't find it at Bunnings...

Comment

Good onya Carioca.
      I tried to buy a half-axe for my Daughter's root a few years ago. (He's not a bad lad, eh).
      Pathetic range/quality.(Axe, not Boy. Sheesh) .
      Surprising for Bundaberg.
      Be very interested in progress reports on Fiskers endurance/quality.
      As to a sharpening system dedicated to THEIR product?
      Why? Steel ain't steel, but razor edge is razor edge. It's up to the user.
      Shall check their site.
      Mate, didn't notice Charlotte Bay in Hema's atlas. I suspect SA.
      Stay well Carioca.
      Idiot Jeff.

Comment

Carioca,
        Having just checked their site,looks decidedly soft.Even lame, maybe.
        Hope I'm wrong.
        What pointed you in their direction anyway?
        The Luddite jeff.

Comment

Dear Luddite,

I hadn't checked out their site - just stumbled upon their products at my rather well-stocked local Bunnings store (Forster NSW - Charlotte Bay is a sub-set of Pacific Palms) and hefted and checked out their axes.

Have used both pieces of gear on two days now -- we have had too much rain to do much in the oven department -- and am still very satisfied with their cutting/splitting power. Perhaps the Pro chopping axe could have a somewhat wider blade for my taste... but then, I'm not a 'pro' :-)

Cheers!

LMH

NB: If you got to my oven site you'll see the location map and can zoom in/out with Google Earth...

Comment

Too easy LMH.

Have a mad mate from Service days, (remember conscription? I suspect you do.), lives in your neck of the woods. Modest house, Wonderful aspect/Missus/Kid. Almost a Human, eh.

Mate , I just happen to like functional blades: if you can't shave with a kitchen knife,then bin it, 'till you re-sharpen it.
            (How do you feel when a celebrity chef, up there on the Big MoneyTV, scrapes the chopped bits off a board using the cutting edge ? Worse than sitting in a dentist's chair, eh.)
            As for block splitters Carioca. It's funny you should mention that. Made one out of pipe and stuff around 20 years ago: works a treat. Never a jar. My welds should have carked it aeons ago; lucky I guess.
            Maybe I'm a blest child. Asif.
            Thanks Carioca from near Forster. I'll take a punt and sign,
            teach.

Comment

Hi Jeff,

what is it that makes us have this fascination with sharp steels/knives? It probably is genetically programmed into the male psyche...

As to fabricating my own tools, I'll have to learn how to weld first - bought an little SIP electric arc welder a year or so ago to work on an invention of mine, but couldn't get it to weld galvanised steel mesh :-) Now the oven has precedence...

Teach? Me? No way! I used to be a journo all my working life (short as it was) and a computer and comms freak from back in the early 1980s.

Take care,

LMH

Comment

Mate ,
                Take heart (or is it too late?) . Galvanised ANYthing is a dog to weld. (Never mind the fumes). Galvanised mesh, weight for weight, is the Alpha dog.
                TAFE run some neat courses, eh. Have a look at your local outfit.
                Since I've been obliged to use that wonderful accessory (spectacles), I can't see the weld-pool. Sigh! Sure as hell beats welding by feel I guess. (Some of us just like to bitch, eh. Never content).
                As to your question re blades. Apparently I may be preaching to the unconverted. (If I'm wrong...sorry). A sharp blade works superbly. A blunt blade is either useless or a pain in the arse.(finger/hand/leg/guts...)
                An untidy kitchen, (the bain of some people), can still work up there with the tidiest.
                Let's know how Fiskas performs please. My mind isn't totally shut to new stuff.
                Luddite Jeff.

Comment

I've used splitting mauls for years and never sharpened them. Thousands of split logs...oak, maple, birch, olive, pine....

Yes, I sharpen an axe or hatchet, but don't think I've ever sharpened a maul for primary log splitting. I actually think a blunt maul works better than a sharp point which tends to stick more.

30 years, 8 chain saws, too many cords to count! As usual, your mileage may vary.

XJ
                  sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Comment

I bought one of their ax's a few years back for camping - awesome tool. I don't recall what I paid but every time I use it, I know it was worth it.

Les...
                    Check out my pictures here:
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Xabia Jim View Post

<snip>

30 years, 8 chain saws, too many cords to count! As usual, your mileage may vary.

XJ
                      Hi Jimbo, the sharpener tool was for the chopping axe - I take your point about the blocksplitter...

BTW, I've used the same Stihl 041 Electronic from the early 1970s and continue to use if for smaller jobs on our 53 acre block. But some two years ago I bought a new Stihl Magnum to fell a dozen or so trees around the house, which I think my old workhorse might have had trouble with.

The new tool is mostly plastic rather than diecast alu as its sibling from 1973, but it's very light and easy to handle, even with the much more powerful engine and very long blade...

Cheers, y hasta luego!

LMH

Comment

Hi Jimbo, the sharpener tool was for the chopping axe - I take your point about the blocksplitter...

BTW, I've used the same Stihl 041 Electronic from the early 1970s and continue to use if for smaller jobs on our 53 acre block. But some two years ago I bought a new Stihl Magnum to fell a dozen or so trees around the house, which I think my old workhorse might have had trouble with.

The new tool is mostly plastic rather than diecast alu as its sibling from 1973, but it's very light and easy to handle, even with the much more powerful engine and very long blade...

Cheers, y hasta luego!

LMH

Comment

Originally posted by jeff View Post
                          <snip> Galvanised ANYthing is a dog to weld. (Never mind the fumes). Galvanised mesh, weight for weight, is the Alpha dog.
                          TAFE run some neat courses, eh. Have a look at your local outfit.

<snip>

Let's know how Fiskas performs please. My mind isn't totally shut to new stuff.
                          Luddite Jeff.
                          Ta, Jeff, had a look at their offerings and may just take such a course... In the meantime, Bianca has converted the galmesh cage to a nice roomy nursery for sitting geese - or broody hen that need their sitting instinct dulled for a few days...

Will keep you guys posted - I still am very chuffed with both the block splitter and the chopping axe - just the kind of tools a 72-y-0 (well, nearly) can wield with confidence :-)

Cheers,

LMH
                          Last edited by carioca; 02-15-2008, 08:16 PM. Reason: re-arrange reply

Comment

Chainsaws.....

Hey, I'm a Stihl man in a big way....they're all great from the little one, an 008 to my big one an 036, and more inbetween. I even brought one to Spain in my suitcase.

Who has a chainsaw collection? Must have sawdust in my head from the 26 stitches in my neck......watch that kickback!!
                            sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Comment

Working...
                            X