Ash in the corners...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ash in the corners...

I brushed my hearth but ended up with a small ash pile around the edges and accidently slid my pizzas into this small ash edge.

Does anyone have a tool or technique for removing this bit of ash? I just blew it off the pizza edge but was thinking about some kind of round brush to sweep the edge clean.

XJ
    sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Re: Ash in the corners...

XJ,

I have a similar problem with my barrel vault oven because of the square corners at the back. My solution has always been to spin my damp mop in them, more than once if necessary, to clean those pesky areas. Don't think it's possible to get them absolutely clean with this method, but close enough. I've read of some people using compressed air, but, wow, what a mess that would make.

Jim
    Last edited by CanuckJim; 02-09-2008, 06:45 AM. Reason: Incomplete
    "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

I have no problems using the brush sold here on FB. Although a rectangle, it swivels on the handle which allow you to follow the contour (at least of a Pompeii oven), Jim's barrel vault (with the corners) may be another story.

RT

Comment

<insert usual disclaimer about not having an oven - yet - here>

Well, a shop vac is what I use for baseboards and especially corners. As long as the oven is cold, a can of Dust Remover (air, basically) will work. If you need a brush, corner brushes (the little triangular ones) will do the job pretty well.

If you mean ash from moving the fire wouldn't raking forward and then to the side handle that? (Dunno - just wondering).
        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
        [/CENTER]

Comment

Yes, basically the ash from the fire after it's been moved over from one side to the other. I like a hot hearth and use this technique but it does leave a residue. Raking and brushing still leaves some ash

...maybe the mop will work with some more effort and I'm going to try some kind of brush on a pole as it's about 3.5 feet to that back edge and my hearth brush is not getting that rounded corner.

Thanks

Comment

Oh, okay - maybe a bottle brush (mounted, obviously) if that doesn't work? There's another possibility but finding a toilet brush that isn't plastic would be a bear - still, rounded areas are what they are designed for. And there's the 'ick' factor but as far as design is concerned that should work. Or a modified bottle brush would do the same.
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
            [/CENTER]

Comment

I did a web search yesterday and found nothing of any size with metal bristles. All bristles are nylon or other flamable material.

I did pizzas last night and used my copper oven brush from FB. It worked like a champ.
              GJBingham
              -----------------------------------
              Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

In the welding world, they use metal bristled brushes with wooden handles. I've purchased them in the past from Lowes or Home Depot to use in may basement to clean off cement block prior to painting. Check the tools section where they sell welding supplies. If I recall, they call them wire brushes.

Comment

Try searching furnace, boiler, or chimney brushes.

Comment

You should only use a soft metal brush to clean your oven floor without scratching -- look for copper/brass. A stiff brush, like the ones you use to clean a grill, will scratch and wear down your floor over time. And plastic will melt! You will be cleaning your oven floor when it is 800?F+.

James
                    Pizza Ovens
                    Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Originally posted by james View Post
                      You should only use a soft metal brush to clean your oven floor without scratching -- look for copper/brass. A stiff brush, like the ones you use to clean a grill, will scratch and wear down your floor over time. And plastic will melt! You will be cleaning your oven floor when it is 800?F+.

James
                      That only makes sense. The welding brushes are for cleaning up metal, and would scratch the bricks, which as you point out would be counterproductive in the longevity category.

Comment

As I recall, at Frank Pepe's in New Haven they use a vacuum periodically (burnt cornmeal?), to clean the floor of their big coal-fired oven.

Comment

I worry about coals in a vacuum....always have when sucking up ash.

And on the burnt cornmeal....had that problem with the last pizzas, should have used the hearth broom more between batches!

I picture a round brush but it's got cone shaped bristles on the end. I know I've seen one that had stiff bristles, but I don't know what it was made of or used for...I'll keep looking.

Comment

No need to reinvent the wheel. There's a copper brush with a long aluminum handle for sale in the Forno Bravo store.

He seems to have everything else, why not a copper brush!!

Comment

Working...
                            X