Vermicucrete above or below Kaowool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vermicucrete above or below Kaowool

Having learned the miracle of insulation these last two weekends with the curing fires, I have decided to add a layer of vermicucrete to the outside of the dome. I see in posts that some add it directly to the dome, while others are laying down the ceramic blanket first and then putting down the vermicucrete over the blanket. Does anyone know the relative benefits of either approach. Does applying directly to the dome provide more structural support?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Jim

Re: Vermicucrete above or below Kaowool

I put the blanket outside the brick dome, and covered it with vermiculite concrete. The perlcrete has no structural strength, so I don't think it will help with anything structural, except maybe supporting the stucco on the outside of the dome. Besides, the blanket is the much better insulator, and you want it where it will do the most good.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Hi JCG31,

I live in Kenya and have been unable to find any sort of insulating blanket to put around the dome. I finally opted for 6 inches of vermicucrete. It seems to be working fairly well. I was a bit concerned about expansion and the need for a woven insulation blanket but the vermicucrete seems to be working just fine.

I agree that it adds no structural elements to the whole program. It's acutally a bit of mess to work with. I ended up "sculpting" a layer of chicken wire (1/2" opening) about 6 inches above the dome outer face and then filling the space between the dome and the chicken wire with the vermicucrete. I don't see how it ever would have stuck without the chicken wire to hold it in place.

Tom T

Comment

I think dmun has it correct. Blanket first, then vermicrete.
        GJBingham
        -----------------------------------
        Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

JCG,

Have to add my assent to what Dmun and George have said. All the FB installations I've done are assembled with the blanket(s) first, then chicken wire, then wet insulation coating, whether vermic/cement or something else.

You won't get any structural advantage by using the wet coat first, and the blanket(s) is/are the better insulator to have directly against the dome.

Jim
          "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Blanket first, then vermicucrete. Done! Thanks all.
            Jim

Comment

Jim, I know you are installing 50sf of 2" blanket which probably means you will have 3" coverage over your dome. If you are planning on adding vermiculite over it is it because More Is Better or have you noticed what you have so far is lacking?
              As you know I have 50sf of 3"(4-5" of coverage) that I'm hoping will be enough, but I don't know.
              RCLake

"It's time to go Vertical"
              Oven Thread

Comment

No, I am just buying the "you can never have enough insulation" thinking. But I had the top outer surface of the dome to 725 degrees this weekend (inside top was 850-derees). The wool on top of the dome was merely warm, I am certain if I had two layers in place the wool would have been entirly cool to the touch. You should be fine with what you have.

Jim

Comment

Jim, thanks for the info.

If you are at 850 in the dome and day 5 goal is 700 have you started cooking yet?
                  RCLake

"It's time to go Vertical"
                  Oven Thread

Comment

Perhaps a silly question from one who hasn't started building yet, but if the blanket is a superior insulator, why skip the vermiculite and put down more blanket? Does the vermiculite serve some other purpose?
                    Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                    My oven build thread

Comment

Mfiore,

You have a lot of options:

All Blanket,
                      All vermiculite or an equivalent
                      A mixture of both - the route I'm going to use.

I think it really boils down to cost but my understanding is the blanket is superior (the plans detail which ratio to use of each). James cells a new less expensive FB blanked that I just purchased.

I'm actually planning on using 2 inches of blanket then vermiculite to fill the void. I'll prob end up using way more vermiculite but I would rather have too much.

Thanks
                      Dick

Hey, I haven't built yet but I feel comfortable answering some questions given I've read the plans so many times. Don't ask where I keep my copy.

Comment

The vermiculite concrete is about a quarter the price of high-tech insulating materials. It also fits into cracks and voids, and forms a smooth surface, which the overlapped blanket does not.
                        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Originally posted by thebadger View Post

Don't ask where I keep my copy.
                          ...bedside table, right?

Using the digital version as a screen saver at work would be pretty good, too.
                          "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Hey, I just noticed, I'm master builder now!!! Wow, when did THAT happen??!
                            "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Originally posted by Frances View Post
                              Hey, I just noticed, I'm master builder now!!! Wow, when did THAT happen??!
                              About 9 posts ago! give or take...

Congrats Frances, but I already knew you were a master builder.

(and Chef, I might add)

dave
                              My thread:
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
                              My costs:
                              http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
                              My pics:
                              http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

Working...
                              X