Pizza oven Tool Sets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pizza oven Tool Sets

I am ready to buy my oven tools. I would appreciate feedback on what many of you feel are the true necessities for the ovens. I see that FB has:

Five piece premium pizza tool set for commercial or high-end residential use, with a rectangular 14.5 anodized aluminum rectangular peel, stainless steel round 7.9" peel, copper brush, and stainless steel rake and shovel. Each with 59" anodized aluminum handle.

I like the 59" because of the reach into the oven. I have the 44" oven, the 16" entry, and the 10" landing. Looking at these measurements, it appears that the 47" set would be too short, or am I wrong?

We are talking pizza cooking, coal movement, and cleanup.

Input please.
    An excellent pizza is shared with the ones you love!

Acoma's Tuscan:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/a...scan-2862.html

Re: Pizza oven Tool Sets

Robert , I have not done any of this yet, but based on my cure fires I will make these comments. I don't have a lot of ash left over after a fire. There is an Acemart store in Dallas and I got a couple of peels, etc. and a wire broom to clean the floor.
    After seeing the fires I know my pizzas will be closer to the front.
    Not trying to drive business away from James, sorry James

As Dave would say , my two cents.
    RCLake

"It's time to go Vertical"
    Oven Thread

Comment

I got the five piece, more inexpensive set from FB - around $200. Indespenible! My brush cuaght on fire yesterday though. Be quick with a wood tool in the hot oven.
      GJBingham
      -----------------------------------
      Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

I have the FB 47 inch tool set, which is perfect for my 36 inch oven. The only thing I don't use is the large metal pizza peel, as I place my pizzas with the wooden peel, and retrieve them with the turning peel. If you made your pizzas close by, on a counter, then the big metal peel would be more useful.
        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

I too have the 47" (cheaper) FB set. Agree 100% with dmun, I never use the large peel, the other tools and smaller turning peel are priceless. I've been using mine since last June...no issues other than scorching the wood brush (user error, leaving in the oven too long and getting too close to the fire. This set is perfect for my 36" oven.
          I would also recommend searching for some good forged steel, extra long (mine are 31") log tongs. Took a couple of weeks of ebay searching but I found an antique pair in perfect condition for....I think $20 (plus shipping).
          Don't buy the cheap scissor type coming out of china (they will last about a week, tops).

Rt

Comment

James,
            That brings to a point, my recommendation for an oven brush. How about one where the copper bristles are set in a metal handle vs. wood? Perhaps there's a producer out there somewhere. Mine caught fire last night.
            GJBingham
            -----------------------------------
            Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

I did a post last year on redneck oven tools and serously.... I use some pretty basic stuff like a bent iron rod to pull out and push around the terra cotta baking dishes.

George, I push around my fire and coals using a piece of squared lumber (a handmade oar handle I found on the beach) so I have not yet burned my brush since it's not used for the major coal work, just the final brushing of the hearth ash.

I do use the wood peels to put the pizzas in and metal peels to move and remove.......and some of the best tools are the thermometer gun and leather gloves that almost go to my elbows.
              sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Comment

Like Jim I only use the copper brush for sweeping the fine ash off the cooking surface - the coals get pushed back with my trusty old garden rake. Works a treat!
                "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

Acoma,

All I can say is that I always recommend a five-piece tool set to my FB oven customers. Just makes life easier, plus no hunting around. I have the pro quality peels here, and they are very well made, light and easy to handle. Go for the longer ones. Finding long tongs (good ones) is more difficult. I'm thinking of asking my blacksmith friend, Lloyd Johnston, to make some for me this spring. If it ever arrives that is.

Jim
                  "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

There's another speciality request James, long tongs!

Mine are always too short (but the gloves help!)
                    sigpicTiempo para guzarlos..... ...enjoy every sandwich!

Comment

XJ and All,

Didn't want to start a new thread for this, so let's just call it an adjunct. I've been coveting several pieces of kitchen gear for quite a while, and to banish cabin fever, I sprung for them today.

All were gotten from Lee Valley Tools Cooking Tools - Lee Valley Tools - Woodworking Tools, Gardening Tools, Hardware Supplies . On the left is an Italian made tomato press that is really good at separating the flesh from the skins and seeds. I was going to buy a Mouli, but this thing is purpose designed. It will also handle other soft fruits. James might be interested in checking out the manufacturer at: RIGAMONTI PIETRO & FIGLI S.R.L..

The long, thin shiny thing in the foreground is a stainless steel rasp with a separate tray that it fits into. Started out life as a wood rasp, but then the kitchen gear freaks got hold of it. This is absolutely the best for grating hard cheeses, garlic, nuts, lemon zesting, etc. Very, very thin shavings, very sharp teeth, quick to use.

On the right is a French mandoline by Bron. Now I can actually slice potatoes thin enough for my worldfamous potato pizza. It also comes with four different width julienne blades, 2, 4, 7, & 10 mm. Skinny fries tonight. This particular one is more or less the French standard. Very well made, but not cheap.

Jim
                      Last edited by CanuckJim; 03-10-2008, 01:42 PM. Reason: More info
                      "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

Originally posted by Xabia Jim View Post
                        There's another speciality request James, long tongs!
                        Hey Jim, great idea. I'll start looking.

On the accessory theme, I bought a trial clip-on light today and will report more on that later.

On the brush question, I think the copper/brass bristle in a wood head on a metal handle is the best way to go. I just cracked open a 5 piece set of the commercial tools for our oven here -- though they aren't getting near the oven until everything is clean.

My thinking is that if budget is not a huge issue, the rake and shovel are really nice. They make it easy to move things around and clean your oven. If the cost matters, then I think the three main pieces -- placing peel, turning peel and a brush will definitely do the trick.

This also asks the question -- where are you making your pizzas and how are you getting them from the work surface into the oven.

Small wood peel for prep, the a slide onto the placing peel to put the pizza in the oven (and not burn your hand)?

Or, are you making your pizzas on a solid surface and sliding the peel under it on the counter?

Or, do you like using a long handled wood peel for making and placing?

I feel a poll coming on!
                        James
                        Pizza Ovens
                        Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

long handled wood peel for both making and placing, I had a couple of transfer disasters making on contertops (granite, in my kitchen) and transfering to the large metal peel. Making the pizzas outside next to the oven just doesn't work for me - to many bugs flying and crawling around most of the year and it is just too damn hot and humid from June thru Oct. Make'em in the kitchen , walk'em 40 ft to the oven...all is good.

RT

Comment

I like to make the pizza on wood, then turn & pull it with metal. In fact, I just made the larger one in the photo Saturday & used it for the first time last night. It's a little bigger than one I had been using.

James, I saw in another thread you asked about bread peels. I'm not sure what real bakers use but I made several of these narrow ones a few years ago & they work pretty well for a long, baguette type loaf. I tend to load it off the side & they stay fairly straight.

Comment

Lilsun is the big maker of specialty peels for bread bakers. I'm not sure they sell retail. We sell a number of their mainstream peel sizes and can get others if folks are interested.

They make all shapes and sizes.

Jim, do you make your own, or use Lilsun?

James
                              Pizza Ovens
                              Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Working...
                              X