Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sorry. I'm thick:please donate to Ludite Foundation.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sorry. I'm thicklease donate to Ludite Foundation.

Jeff, no apologies needed. I can certainly relate to your mongrel mutt issues; I've got a 16 yr old (yes, he is on his last days) - going deaf, blind in one eye, and has arthitis; the little bastard (love him to death) has really become a stubborn, cranky old fart recently, pretty much does as he damn well pleases (knows he can get away with anything because we feel sorry for him). Does not tolerate being fussed with and only accepts attention when HE feels like it, but still loves to eat anything and stick his nose in everything. Has never taken to the computer, wouldn't surprise me if he decided to chew through one of its cables - just to piss me off. Don't even mention painting projects...he has "helped" with every one I've done in 16 yrs.

RT

Comment

George,

Dave's right on, about fourteen hundred, depending on the importer or source. The advantage of a fork mixer, as opposed to an orbital KA or a spiral, is the gentle action of the fork. It pretty well eliminates the friction factor that can overheat dough if you aren't careful. It therefore allows longer mix times and greater gluten development.

Knowing what I know now, I'd have bought a fork mixer rather than a spiral years ago. Still, I'm very comfortable with mine, and it works like a horse.

Jim
      "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

My current dog (basenji) has chewed through the recharge cord (DC side fotunately) of my electric recumbent cycle three times. Each time it was when I'd been neglecting to take him for a walk. This breed is reknowned for this kind of retribution.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

George and all,

While doing a bit of research today for my workshops, I visited this site: ThermoWorks.com – Temperature experts. Home of the famous Thermapen See us for digital, infrared, logging, and any other type of measurement need.. They're the US distributor for the Super-Fast Thermapen digital temperature probe I use to determine dough temp, ingredients temps, finished bread temps, etc. and recommend to my students. The UK manufacturer is: ETI Ltd - Thermometer Manufacturer.

There's are many temp related products, interesting links and even free Fahrenheit/Cesius/Kelvin conversion software on the Thermoworks site.

Have a look. Jeff can safely ignore this one; too tech. More savvy Aussies can follow this local link: ETI Ltd - Distributors - Australia . XJ can go here: ETI Ltd - Distributors - Spain. Sorry, Frances, nothing for Switzerland, but go to the ETI site for European distributors.

Jim
          Last edited by CanuckJim; 04-09-2008, 10:07 AM. Reason: More info

Comment

Jim,
            Once again great information! I was aware of the more gentle mixing of a fork mixer. $1400 bucks is a lot of dough - pardon the pun. My wife would have me committed!

re: the dital probe - I'm currently using a guage type (the arrow on a round faced dial) that I like because its small and quick. I do have one of the oven probes/timers similar to the one on the Thermoworks website, but I only use that thing for roasts etc. The probe's cable is a pain in the butt. I've yet to get a good reading off my infrared thermometer's probe. I'm doing something wrong with that thing. The instructions are put away, and the only time I think about it is when I'm pulling bread out of the oven and I see the laser themometer staring at me sadly as I use the analog probe.
            GJBingham
            -----------------------------------
            Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

George and all,

Ran into this link posted at PSS Enterprises - PaulsFinest.com, a Canadian on-line knife and kitchen gear site that has a lot of good stuff besides knives, including world standard Peugeot pepper and sea salt (wet or dry) mills.

Anyway, maybe try some of the knife skills at home, but VERY slowly. ‘Top Chef’ Winner Hung Shows Off His Knife Skills - Grub Street - New York Magazine

Jim

Comment

This has turned into a fun thread. Thanks for the websites Jim. Jeff, what are we supposed to be talking about?
                GJBingham
                -----------------------------------
                Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Another site for Aussies is:
                  Winequip
                  Look under Spiral mixers - but beware, the 4kg entry-level model costs around $A2500!

(I must ask my wife for permission to test-driver her 35-year-old Bosch Universal kitchen machine with its spiral dough-kneading attachment... don't like my chances, though!)

Cheers,

LMH
                  "I started out with nothing, and I've still got most of it"

Comment

Working...
                  X