Ideal pizza peel dimension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideal pizza peel dimension

What have you guys found to be the ideal total length for your wooden pizza peels? I'm working on the dome of a 36" oven (with 47" total length from opening to back wall )and thinking of getting a 14x14" peel with a 46" oven. Will that be too long for some reason? I'm guessing that I won't be burning my hands with at least 13" totally outside the oven.

14 X 14 is too big to manipulate the pizza in the oven while cooking. You want an 8" peel for actual cooking and the big one for clearing ash from the floor and removing pizza when cooked. The small one also allows you to work around multiple pizzas in the oven at one time. I operated with a big one for a couple of years and then got the small one. I would give up the big one before the small one if I had to chose. Handle length is personal preference, start with a long one and trim until you like it.
    The cost of living continues to skyrocket, and yet it remains a popular choice.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. How are you initially placing the pizza? Surely not with an 8" peel?
      I was thinking I'd need a large wooden one for placement and a smaller metal one for moving/extraction?

Comment

Originally posted by guiriguiri View Post
        Thanks for the advice. How are you initially placing the pizza? Surely not with an 8" peel?
        I was thinking I'd need a large wooden one for placement and a smaller metal one for moving/extraction?
        that's exactly how you do it. A 14" wooden or metal peel for placing the pizza, and the smaller peel for moving it and getting out of the oven. Most people also put the pizza together on top of the wooden peel. a little flour keeps it from sticking.

Plenty of videos on youtube that will demo the process
        My build progress
        My WFO Journal on Facebook
        My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Right on DJ
          The cost of living continues to skyrocket, and yet it remains a popular choice.

Comment

Working...
          X