Refractory/Fireproof Cement or Mortar Substitute

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refractory/Fireproof Cement or Mortar Substitute

Hi! I am sure some of you may have run into this problem, and I wanted to ask how it was solved... I am building a brick oven and cannot find refractory cement or mortar, nor fireproof, anywhere. Seen many mixes using fire clay, but that I can't either find in my neck of the woods. Local hardware, Home Depot, nor other stores carry those items here. Please, advise how can I do a cement or mortar mix suitable for a brick oven.

Puerto Rico? I suspect something is out there in Spanish that I'll never be able to dig out myself. But even in places where you might think this kind of stuff is abundant, they aren't in big box stores and even hardware stores. You have to go to a building supply company to find that kind of thing. Did you already get the fire brick? I would be imagine the same place the has the brick sells the appropriate mortar for them.

Comment

Check out the pottery and ceramic supply houses. So much pottery from that area, has to be a lot of suppliers available. The names are going to be different. Firebrick are firebrick, but ceramic wool and mineral wool are very similar, Cal Sil Board and Skamol or fiber board and Insboard are some other names. Insulating firebrick that are used to line pottery kilns can be used for under floor insulation. Check if Harbison Walker has a distributor in the Caribbean.
      The cost of living continues to skyrocket, and yet it remains a popular choice.

Comment

Working...
      X