My dog ate the Infrared

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My dog ate the Infrared

It's true. Our 7 month old, but still incredibly immature, labrador destroyed my trusty Forno Bravo infrared thermometer. It had travelled across the Atlantic and back a couple of times and worked great, but it was no match for a dog.

So I ordered the new FB infrared thermometer from the FB Store, and I can report that is is very cool. It is sleeker, and it has a food temperature probe built in.

I'm still angry with the puppy, but at least I have a new toy.

James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Re: My dog ate the Infrared

James, you know what they say - there are no bad dogs, only bad owners

OK, so my previous dog ate the wood siding on the house, my daughter's socks, several pair of leather shoes, and a very expensive suede/knit sweater - but he WAS really bad

One word of advice - ALPO

Good luck training him...remember, he is your best friend, don't be too mad at him.

Comment

Being an experienced dog owner...you have at least a year to go of "puppy"...expecially in a labrador...we are Rhodesian Ridgeback breeders...they are hounds...and even still our youngest at just over 2 years old now...has just had a game with a bag of perlite in recent days...days gone past include TV remotes, ceiling fan remote, shoes, insoles from shoes...many more I'm sure but just can't remember
      A good rule is don't let them do as a puppy what you don't want to have them do as an adult.
      Best
      Dutch
      "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
      "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

James,
        you can't blame the dog, labradores don't do any wrong. (I had one for 14 years).
        We are having to make our house 'grandchildren proof' and you should know to make your place puppy proof!
        Although I sympathise, , you came out on top with your new toy but keep it out of reach.

Neill
        Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
        Neill’s kitchen underway
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Great posts! My 4 month old lab ate my trailer wires for the brake lights on my boat. Then it ate the wires that control the garage door opener. Now, 6 years later, it just runs away when it feels the need. I got a call at 6 AM yesterday from a half-a-mile away that he was lost and needed dad. I'm not even going to speak to the drool factor.
          GJBingham
          -----------------------------------
          Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

Originally posted by RTflorida View Post
            James, you know what they say - there are no bad dogs, only bad owners
            Ouch. That hurts. It's probably true, but it still hurt. :-)
            James
            Pizza Ovens
            Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

I'd love to have a dog, but we can't have one because my eldest daughter has asthma... so next time you're mad at your dog just remember that.

I could tell you about a couple of theing the twins trashed though. Still an ongoing process... Wood ash all over (and I mean ALL OVER) the freshly cleaned pation was their last effort.
              "Building a Brick oven is the most fun anyone can have by themselves." (Terry Pratchett... slightly amended)

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...pics-2610.html
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/p...nues-2991.html

Comment

WOW...My wife and i must be lucky. We have a black lad that will be 4 in September and has never chewed a thing around the house. Although she will drag a log off the wood pile and knaw at it. But thats fine and can be quite entertaining. As far as running away. We have the entire back yard fenced in.

Comment

Was talking to an old workmate last tuesday, and his 4 month old Kelpy (sheep or cattle dog) chewed through the wiring loom in his Subaru Forester under the passengers seat. $1051 later for a special order from Japan for a new loom section and 8 hours to strip out the interior and fit, all is well. Apparently they will not fit secondhand due to possible litigation as it involved the seat belt lights, airbag and shifter selector illumination. It is now an insurane claim.
                  I will be making a cargo barrier for him to keep the pup out of trouble in the back as he continually chews through the leather teather straps.

Neill
                  Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
                  Neill’s kitchen underway
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

SEE! It's TRUE!
                    I sure hope my old teachers read this thread.

Comment

We rescued two labs...brother and sister...after Christmas a few years ago...only had them for 2 months before we drove from here to Arizona to adopt them to friends who have a ranch out there...before they went to their new home they ate a door, chewed on our central air conditioner, aluminum siding, and who know what else...that is why we have Ridgebacks...for the most part they turn two and just completely mellow out...except for squirrels and the neighbors annoying little dog...
                      Best
                      Dutch
                      "Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. " Charles Mingus
                      "Build at least two brick ovens...one to make all the mistakes on and the other to be just like you dreamed of!" Dutch

Comment

Wonderful dogs though. Labs have the disposition of a year-old baby (normally). Kids can pull at their ears and poke them in the eyes - no problem! They just love the attention.
                        GJBingham
                        -----------------------------------
                        Everyone makes mistakes. The trick is to make mistakes when nobody is looking.

-

Comment

James, only kidding...Your probably like most of us dog lovers. let them get away with everything short of murder. I didn't say a word when our old dog (a Samoyed) ate the siding.....knew it was my fault - working constantly (no attention, no exercise, no discipline), just gave hime free run of the back yard when I was "too busy" for him. His destruction stopped when he was regularly exercised and we spent time with him
                          Puppies on the other hand are like small children...they don't know its wrong until they've done it and have been reprimanded.
                          I do like the idea of blaming the dog to get new electronic gadgets...I never used the "dog ate my homework" excuse, so I may use it on my wife the next time I "need" a new toy.

Comment

My neighbor has a Ridgeback...think he is 4 or 5.....HUGE, at least 130 lbs. Looks intimidating, sound scarier than a lion's roar and is the most chilled out, giant baby I have ever seen...nothing fazes that dog.

RT

Comment

I have two and a half city sized black labs. Actually they are black and tan miniature doxies. Full of personality and very people oriented. When you try to ignore them they climb up in your lap and demand attention. On the other hand, they are always excited to see me, even when I come home after working swings a o-dark hundred. That's more than I can say for my kids sometimes.
                              We did go to dog school with them and learned that most of the dogs problems were ours. Since our dogs are very stubborn our trainer gave us some of the best advice I have ever heard.

A tired dog is a good dog
                              An exhausted dog is a great dog.

Bruce
                              Sharpei Diem.....Seize the wrinkle dog

Comment

Working...
                              X